Seat bracket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat bracket?

I have had this sitting on the shelf for 30 + years and it is time to find out what it was made for. I can't find a listing in all of my Big Twin, K model, Sportster, or Servi-Car parts books covering 1951 to 1985 years that has this particular design. At almost 10" wide could this be for one of the 165 cc singles? The rod is 3/8" and has 24 TPI on each end for those unique shouldered fasteners. All of the Big Twin and Sportster parts books show the frame mounted Buddy seat as using a bracket that allows easy access to the battery. This one needs a 1" wrench for those shouldered nuts. The 5/16" x 24 thread bolts on it were, as far as I know, used in the late 50's and early 60's.

Any and all help is much appreciated.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Want another one, Belmont?

I was told it was a 2216-37 "shifter cross shaft bracket", for a right-hand shift.

(Pictured on page 48 of the '36-'48 Parts Catalog.)

Chief riders switching to HD might like one.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-15-2021, 12:25 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Cotten, one of these is enough for me.

2216-37 crosses over to be 33707-37. Your guess for the bracket seems unlikely, the right hand shift cross bracket bolts are used to mount the engine to the frame, which are 3 1/2" on center. This has nuts spot welded on it that are 5 1/2" on center.

I don't see how this solid rod with 3/8" x 24 threads on each end that just fits into these shouldered nuts could work as a right hand shifter, you would need bushings for it to work smoothly.

The mystery continues...

Comment

Originally posted by belmont View Post
        I have had this sitting on the shelf for 30 + years and it is time to find out what it was made for. I can't find a listing in all of my Big Twin, K model, Sportster, or Servi-Car parts books covering 1951 to 1985 years that has this particular design. At almost 10" wide could this be for one of the 165 cc singles? The rod is 3/8" and has 24 TPI on each end for those unique shouldered fasteners. All of the Big Twin and Sportster parts books show the frame mounted Buddy seat as using a bracket that allows easy access to the battery. This one needs a 1" wrench for those shouldered nuts. The 5/16" x 24 thread bolts on it were, as far as I know, used in the late 50's and early 60's.

Any and all help is much appreciated.
        I think that is a seat bracket to mount a banana type seat to a FLH.

Jerry

Comment

I won't tell you who told me, Belmont...

It doesn't make much sense as a seat part either!

Somebody's gotta need both of them. Huh.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776

Comment

Wheels its been a long time. Nice to see that you are still around. The weather forecast is for it to get above zero for the first time in a week tomorrow, it was -30 this morning. I will try to get to the frame mount buddy seat I have been saving and check to see if the bracket fits on it.

I would think that Harley made it easier to get to the battery than this setup would be on a Big Twin. You would have to remove at least one of those shouldered bolts to get the seat to flip up for battery access. I have a swing arm frame in the garage and will have to check to see if it all fits.

By the way am I correct that the circled "F" on the bolt head was a late 50's to mid 60's style?

Thanks for taking the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post

I think that is a seat bracket to mount a banana type seat to a FLH.

Jerry
              That's what I think - for the boat tail super glides (and sportsters?)

want to sell it?

71 boat tail fender bracket-.JPG
              AMCA #41287
              1971 Sprint SS350 project
              1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
              1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
              1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
              96" Evo Softail self built chopper
              2012 103" Road King "per diem"
              plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Joe, I think you solved it! The rod and shouldered nuts are different then the ones in your pic. I found a good drawing in my 1971 Big Twin parts book with part numbers 52061-71 for the bracket, 52074-71 for the stud (threaded rod), and 52076-71 for the nuts. My 1971 Sportster parts book shows a different bracket design, Sportster frame was narrower than the FL/FX frame.

I am willing to sell it all, PM me sometime.

Comment

Joe, I think you solved it! The rod and shouldered nuts are different then the ones in your pic. I found a good drawing in my 1971 Big Twin parts book with part numbers 52061-71 for the bracket, 52074-71 for the stud (threaded rod), and 52076-71 for the nuts. My 1971 Sportster parts book shows a different bracket design, Sportster frame was narrower than the FL/FX frame.

I am willing to sell it all, PM me sometime.
                  Well I was close - I knew it was a seat bracket! Jerry

Comment

Jerry, do you still go by Wheels? I did go out to the deep freeze today and look at the frame mount seat I stashed so many years ago. It has the same size bracket, but it is just like the drawing in the parts books. Slotted on the tabs and through holes to bolt it to the underside of the seat.

Thanks for the help, Karel

Comment

Jerry, do you still go by Wheels? I did go out to the deep freeze today and look at the frame mount seat I stashed so many years ago. It has the same size bracket, but it is just like the drawing in the parts books. Slotted on the tabs and through holes to bolt it to the underside of the seat.

Thanks for the help, Karel
                      Yes Numerous people still call me that. Jerry

Comment

So what is this thing, Folks?

2216-37.jpg
                        Thanks in advance,

...Cotten
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Cotten, This is a used 1971 FX Superglide fiberglass "boattail" seat bracket and mounting hardware, see post #8 in this thread for the part numbers. It is missing the 2 bolts and washers shown on mine that fasten it to the fiberglass seat shell. This thing is pretty much a one year only part, the first year for the Superglide. I was told that Harley did make a few 1972 Superglides with the "boattail" seat in black instead of white for 1971. You got a rare piece for a desirable 50 year old collector bike. This thing is shown in my 1971 Big Twin parts book and it may be in a very early 70's FX parts book that I don't have. it was a real hard one to figure out.

Belmont

Comment

When PM'ing with Belmont I mentioned that I have a FX boat tail fender that I was going to use, but now is just garage art. He was kind enough to measure his seat bracket and mounting hardware and send me detailed dimensions and pictures so I could make one. The other day I scored an original seat for my fender, and that was the impetus I needed to build the bracket. It's basically 2" x 3/16" flat bar, so off the hardware store I went.

(Its hard to take pictures while working, so some of these are staged.)

I heated and bent the bar over a home made mandrel to get the approximate radius on the bend.

IMG_2551.JPGIMG_2552.JPG
                            The ends have a 1-3/4" radius, which just happens to match one of my oil cans:

IMG_2556.JPG
                            Cut with a hacksaw and shape with the grinding wheel, files and sandpaper. Then drill holes for the shouldered nuts. Luckily I have a 3/4" drill bit.

IMG_2559.JPG
                            AMCA #41287

Comment

It's starting to look like an original part now. A lot bigger than i expected, too. LOL

IMG_2560.JPG
                              Drill holes and position the nuts for the fender mounting nuts, and weld them on.

IMG_2561.JPG
                              IMG_2562.JPG
                              A couple light coats of paint, and it looks pretty good. There is a lot of weld spatter on the surface, unfortunately. The factory must have spot welded the nuts.

IMG_2563.JPG
                              AMCA #41287

Comment

Working...
                              X