drum brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drum brakes

new builder. need help checking/rebuilding drum brakes. 1970 HD. Harrisburg,York,Lancaster area. any help much appreciated. thanks

Welcome. Please provide more information as to your issue and questions? Stock bike just doing some maintenance? Basket case and not sure how to put it together? Something in the middle? More info, the better the answers. This is the inside shot of the front brake on my '70.IMG_3323.JPG

Comment

basket case . in over my head not sure where to start with brakes guess I want to make sure brake mechanics are in working order, also taking bike down to frame. went pretty well little trouble removing swing arm but last step is giving me fits. front motor mount bolts will not give . I got the 2 bolts that go thru the motor case with a little struggle but the 2 thru the frame will not budge. top and rear motor mounts loosened no problem. one last question top right front motor mount bolt fastens to a nut welded on the motor, is that factory ? really appreciate you getting back to me. thanks from a first timer

Comment

I'm guessing Sportster?

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by painterdale View Post
          I'm guessing Sportster?

Dale
          No FL. The brakes on this bike are very straight forward. Especially if you are using your exploded view parts book. You need to be able to measure the drum, deal with installing linings, arcing/arching shoes and put back together. Jerry

Comment

First, you need to go on the Bay and find yourself a Factory Service Manual and a Parts Book. Both are invaluable with directions and exploded views so you know what you are dealing with. Copies are fine if the originals are hard to find or too pricey.

Second, soak the crap out of the bolts with your releasing agent of choice, maybe a little heat, and be patient. You may need to work it slowly, tight , loose, tight loose, until all the crap gets out of the way. Good luck.

Comment

I was basing my guess on his description of the front motor mount.

Dale

Comment

Top right front motor mount says sportster

Comment

Working...
                X