Hydra Fork Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydra Fork Question

I am hoping that someone can tell me what year my forks are. My bike has a 1950 Pan motor on a 58 Duo Glide frame. The Hydra forks do not have oil drain plugs!

When I add fork oil, it flows right out of the bottom center of the fork through what appears to be some type of post.

I would like to keep the fluid in my forks! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    HCH

All glide forks have drain plugs. Early models use an allen plug, and mid 77? and later Showa models use a phillips plug. Yours are after market forks, which eliminated the "troublesome" drain plugs. My guess is that the damper rod is not properly registered in the slot located in the bottom of the fork leg. This would prevent any chance of sealing the leg. Disassemble the legs, get new gaskets for the damper rods, and reassemble.
    VPH-D

Comment

Thanks VPH-D. I disassembled the forks and discovered that a previous owner had fabricated washers out of leather (of all things) for the dampner seals! I tossed the leather and used rubber washers. I also used some high speed silicone sealant in order to insure that the fluid dosent leak out.
      My HD service manual calls for 7 oz of fluid Im hoping that these aftermarket jobs take the same amount.

Comment

Working...
      X