No announcement yet.

Smoothest Running Harley ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably copied the British Douglas and Indian had the small, 350 cc I think, horizonal twin earlier. Think about this, what if Harley continued to improve the Sport model up to modern times? We all could be riding R1200RS Harley's and that company in Bavaria might not exist.

Louie

Comment

The Model W Sport twin Harley, as well as the Model O Indian, which was also an opposed twin, were influenced by the very successful British Douglas. Both American bikes sold better in England and Europe than in the home market.
      Pete Gagan

Comment

Wm. H. Davidson (1905-1992) said that the Sport Model was "sewing machine" smooth, but that it couldn't "beat its way out of a wet paper bag."

That was his own first motorcycle and Willie G. had one on the church steps at his father's funeral in tribute which I attended riding my old 50FL.

Comment

Yep, that's my bike. Smooth and unpowerful. It needed to be about 61 inches.

Louie

Comment

It seems like H-D had big plans the Sport Model concept if the patents on it are any indication.

Comment

Smoothest??? The Topper!

Any other bike have a Scootamatic Tranny????

Comment

Working...
              X