Sand cast date markings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sand cast date markings

How are the sand cast date markings read?

Using your eyes and brain works best, Harley used multiple foundry with differing formats, F6 is June 1946 on a knuckle rocker housing, G 18-6 is July 18, 1946 for a knuckle cylinder.

Comment

He asked you for the last part of your remark not your snarky first part. More like this and no one, especially the new young ones will use the forum at all. He was jus looking for information. Bad day?
      DrSprocket

Comment

The young kids now a days have very thin skin and get so "triggered." They should lighten up a bit and enjoy life and the wonderful US of A!

Comment

More like this and no one, especially the new young ones will use the forum at all.
          This hobby is for old men with deep pockets reliving days gone by on rolling piles of junk.
          Ten years from now many of these old geezers will be gone and the next generation can decide if they like this hobby or it is a bout of insanity.
          My friend owns an unrestored Model A, his family doesn't give a sh!t so he was going to donate to the Model A museum upon his demise until I told him what would happen next.
          Life is short, enjoy it while you can.

Comment

Dear Ryan, I'm a 72 year old vet and I know lots of thick skinned youngsters who are pro USA and ride two wheels. Where do you get YOUR information? Oh. and I made the return comment, not Paul! I don't "trigger" and I don't need to lighten up any more than I am I just hate labels and putting people in boxes. You do to truth known.
            DrSprocket

Comment

Dear Rich,
              I am also a 3%er of 49 and I am glad you know some thick skinned youngsters, that is great news. The triggered was also meant toward today's youth that protest everything from anything red to a sideways fart. Just take a step on today's hate filled communist filled colleges.
              I had my 85 chevy 4x4 surrounded by young idiots to make sure I wasn't sporting Lee's battle flag. The information is out there loud and clear sir. Thank you for your service Rich!

Comment

Originally posted by 1950Panhead View Post
                This hobby is for old men with deep pockets reliving days gone by on rolling piles of junk.
                Ten years from now many of these old geezers will be gone and the next generation can decide if they like this hobby or it is a bout of insanity.
                My friend owns an unrestored Model A, his family doesn't give a sh!t so he was going to donate to the Model A museum upon his demise until I told him what would happen next.
                Life is short, enjoy it while you can.
                I know a guy that sells at least 5 antique American bikes a week over seas, England and Japan. Crazy!

Comment

I think the old men,im 67 ,is mostly true for the Harley big twin and Indian guys but with so many other bikes up to 84 I think there are a lot of younger people interested in old bikes,I just dont think you are going to see them here.Too bad in my opinion.
                  Tom

Comment

I think it is too bad the younger guys aren't showing up here as well. I think the cost of the older bikes are out ragist! Like asking 95k for knucklehead on ebay. The first 401k recipients sure drove the market up the past several years. The bikes now have become idle works of art in many cases getting shipped out for the Benjimans. If I say anymore, I will just get into trouble. Lol

Comment

This sure got off the rails. Well now that you are on the subject of younger people on older bikes. Where I am in SENYState there are plenty of younger people on old bikes. Sportsters, bobbers of all varieties etc. I can't GIVE away a membership to our Chapter to them. I see them, I know some of them and tell them you only have to show up at a meeting and a free 1 year membership is yours. Crickets.........
                      Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 03-25-2019, 01:46 PM.
                      D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                        I know a guy that sells at least 5 antique American bikes a week over seas, England and Japan. Crazy!
                        Why haven't you killed him?
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                          Why haven't you killed him?
                          It makes me absolutely sick! He sends knuckles out a pair to 4 at a time as well as American inline 4 bikes of all makes. He also sells a lot of pre 1939 Indians to New Zealand and Australia. He will liquidate complete collections without physically setting eyes on the bikes. He said the only bike he owns that should not be sent out is an Evil Kenevil bike.
                          He is really on a roll this year exporting just one 150 bikes. I think it should be against the law!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paultrehberg View Post
                            How are the sand cast date markings read?

More than one format was used for sand-cast date codes—for example, some codes are numbers-only and have no letters while some other codes are letter-number. Also some, not all, situations involving the letters I and M remain under investigation as does the spacing of characters in some, not all, codes.

Are there any date codes in particular you need help with? If you have photos then please post them because sometimes the same code was used on pieces that were produced ten years apart.
                            Eric

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.Bagin View Post
                              This sure got off the rails. Well now that you are on the subject of younger people on older bikes. Where I am in SENYState there are plenty of younger people on old bikes. Sportsters, bobbers of all varieties etc. I can't GIVE away a membership to our Chapter to them. I see them, I know some of them and tell them you only have to show up at a meeting and a free 1 year membership is yours. Crickets.........
                              Its like my nephew, he had a sportster that still had carbs as his 1st bike, sold it because it took too long to warm up...now he has a fuel injected version haha its been in the shop about 5 times for probs, to him my 73 is a dinosaur, (oh you wont be able too keep up with the other guys) really. I said go ahead ill catch up.Its a shame the younger generation doesnt or isnt interested in the older stuff. Or should i say most im sure some are..But yes the prices are going threw the roof just like musclecars.

Comment

Working...
                              X