Changing vin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing vin

I own an old servicar with a title. My question is how do I get the vin (motor) numbers on the tittle I have to match the motor numbers on a different motor if the titled motor is changed out?

What you are proposing is illegal in most states as well as federally, so it is a slippery slope..
    What is wrong with the original engine? Why can't it be used? It is usually far easier to just re-title with the new engines numbers.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Simply go to your motor vehicle dept and notify them of the engine change. They may stumble around for a while until they find someone who knows what form to fill out. Take your old engine with you to show them what you have done.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

There is nothing wrong with the motor I have. I have two motors one is a WL and one is a G. I have a yittke for the WL and not the G. I would like to put the G motor on because it is a servicar motor but the numbers would not match on the registration. It certainly is not illegal to change a motor. Both motors have been in the family for many many years but the tittle for the G cannot be found. There are no vin numbers on the frame because it too is before the time vin numbers were put on frames. Neither motor has been registered for at least 40 years. Been sitting in the basement that long.

Comment

Certainly not illegal to switch engines. Your post makes it appear you are attempting to change VINs on engines to match a title., not the other way around. Most states have provisions to title bikes with no paperwork, however it gets tougher every year in some and a few will not do it at all. Just be sure they don't claim it is a reconstruction of some sort and try to issue a state ID and frame tag!
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

You can do an online title search. If it was once registered to a family member, since it's been in the family for years, you might be able to apply for a lost title. Most likely the search will come back no record if it's been out of the system long enough. Then depending what state you're in you just apply for an abandoned vehicle title. I've done it several times. The DMV was very helpful, once you find the employee who knows how to do it.

Comment

Working...
            X