OEM Muffler Rusting from inside on 2003 Superglide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM Muffler Rusting from inside on 2003 Superglide

Bought a brand new Anniversary Superglide in 2003 and have kept it all original (yes 99.9% of you, even the mufflers!).
    It has 4K miles and is still brand new.
    I was sick the other day when I discovered the back muffler is rusting from the inside out.
    I always ride at least 10 miles whenever I start it so as to dry out the mufflers but I guess that's not enough.
    Has anybody else (the .1% of you) had a similar problem with original mufflers on the 03 Superglides?
    Can I do anything to stop the rust or to keep it to a minimum?
    Thanks.

Drill a small hole in the lowest point on the muffler.

Comment

I took apart the Street Cannon slip-ons on my 2014 HD Limited to replace the fiberglass packing material. It had an area that looked like it was too thin and burned through. To your point though, the steel mesh tube through the center of the muffler was really rusted. I have a feeling that unless they're stainless steel, or maybe powder-coated with something, they'll probably rust. I left mine alone but I noticed some aftermarket and maybe more expensive ones are stainless.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.
        The rust was on the side, (not at the bottom), at the most visible spot on the muffler so I don't want to drill a hole there.
        I'm thinking I'll try to keep as much wax on it as possible and look for a NOS muffler that one of the 99.9%er's took off when they installed their loud pipes.

Comment

A small hole in the bottom would let the water out, which I would guess is causing the rust.

Comment

I wouldn't know a 2003 Superglide if it ran over me, Folks!

But water for rust has to come from somewhere.
            We all know the combustion of fuel makes water, so the question becomes: Why didn't the pipes get hot enough to vaporize and get rid of it?

How far of a ride is necessary?

(Thanks in advance as always...)

.....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-03-2017, 04:29 PM.
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Factory mufflers are designed around volume and baffling. The larger the body and more baffles the quieter the exhaust note. Conversely, the larger the body and more baffles the more surface area to heat. If it is coming through the side there is likely an internal welded seam or shoulder there that traps moisture. The plating process strips any protective coating off the steel, allowing any moisture to begin its attack on the bare metal. How long a ride is enough? At some point it equalizes and no further amount of time will negate the moisture issue. It was always a major problem with BMW and other German makes where quiet running was desired. There is no viable solution on some designs. You do have the advantage of lots of guys switching mufflers at low miles. Buy all you can find. They will be worth the most for future restorers.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Cotton and Robbie. Good advice. Kinda thought that was going to be the answer. Disappointing though, considering I have the stock mufflers on my 60 Pan and on my 80 FLH with 100,000 miles. The 80 doesn't have a spec of rust.

Comment

The guys at my chrome shop say that some metal today is so rift with impurities that rust is coming right out of the metal. I know with the HD Aermacchi's in the 60's the rust on the wheel rims was determined to have its' origins that way. Jerry

Comment

Wow! Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X