Frame identification help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame identification help please

My son inherited a collection of old Harley parts when his grandfather passed away. His grandfather had a shovelhead bike project started and we are trying to identify the frame. We are seriously scratching our heads. The frame is a rigid straight leg frame. It does have the brake crossover tube which is leading me to believe its 55-57 panhead frame. It has the blank in the neck where the lock would go, but no lock was ever in this frame. The rear section had been welded on as if the rear were damaged at one time and a new section spliced in. (Horribly). There is no tab for the rear stand but possibly ground off. . Also the bottom of the front legs are curved, so there apparently was never sidecar loops on this frame, and from what I know ALL original Harley rigids had sidecar loops. I can repair the rear half with a reproduction section, but it's not really worth it if the front half isn't original HD. I know the frame has sat just like this for at least 30 years so it's definitely not a reproduction frame, at least not a modern one anyway. I'll post what pictures I have and when my son gets back to his shop in a couple weeks we can get better pics. And there are no stamping on the motormount. Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks ahead of time.

IMG_5506.JPG
    IMG_5505.JPG
    IMG_5508.JPGIMG_5509.JPG
    IMG_5507.JPG
    Last edited by Dale1948; 10-19-2017, 02:03 PM.

That neck is later 68 Shovelhead and newer. I would guess that the frame is 1968 with a hardtail section welded on to it. Definitely not an original rigid frame -- maybe the hardtail section is but I could not really see in the photos. Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
      That neck is later 68 Shovelhead and newer. I would guess that the frame is 1968 with a hardtail section welded on to it. Definitely not an original rigid frame -- maybe the hardtail section is but I could not really see in the photos. Jerry
      What's puzzling is that it has the crossover tube for the Manuel brakes that doesn't look to be grafted on. Maybe they grafted the two together in front of the post. I'm thinking he just needs to come off the hip and get a new replica frame for his project.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale1948 View Post
        What's puzzling is that it has the crossover tube for the Manuel brakes that doesn't look to be grafted on. Maybe they grafted the two together in front of the post. I'm thinking he just needs to come off the hip and get a new replica frame for his project.
        I suspect that the cross over shaft came with the rear hardtail section. Jerry

Comment

Working...
        X