1920 W Harley Valve and Valve guide info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1920 W Harley Valve and Valve guide info

Can anyone tell me who can supply Valves to suit 1920 Model W Harley flat twin motor.
    also does anyone make Valve guides or have drawing sizes to make the valve guides to suit.
    is there a special material Cast iron to make the guides from?
    Is it better to leave Valves and Guides without lubrication or lubricate them before a run,
    after reaming out guides a few years ago they have not lasted very long at all with some lubrication?
    It was another question I did not ask my father 30 odd years ago.

considering that we have had no replies I am going to make Guides myself and use Chev Gen 3 LS1 exhaust valves which have 8 mm stem and turn head to correct diameter.
    I would still like to hear other peoples opinion on lubrication on the exposed valves and Guides considering the Valves are horizontal rather than near vertical as on singles and Vee twins?
    regards Colin

Comment

I lube my Sport model valves before every ride, no idea about who might supply valves, making guide are probably your only option, I have spare complete cylinders I picked up at a meet a few years ago.(Not for sale).
      Attached Files
      Louie
      FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
      Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
      YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Hi Louie
        what do you lube the valves with?
        another question you may be able to answer after a ride, does your magneto get very hot, eg can not hold your fingers against the magneto after a hour ride?
        Colin

Comment

50W, never had problems with the mag, will check temperature next time I ride it, got to fix loose petcock first.
          Louie
          FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
          Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
          YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Working...
          X