1929 harley single model C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1929 harley single model C

Hello every one I'm a new member and live in the Boston,Ma area. I'm 67 years old and have been riding and tinkering with Harleys for 50 years. Had a 55FLE, 50FL,36EL, 47FL, 69CH,61CH all of them stock. It was alot of fun, parts were pretty easy to find and the prices didn't scare you. I picked up a 29 Harley single C model (500 cc ) to keep me busy in retirement. Here's what i have so far, frame,tanks,fenders,handle bars,wheels,toolbox,battery box,transmission,80% engine,rear stand and latch,primary cover and tail light. What i'm on the hunt for is EVERYTHING else, what i'm learning is everything else are "THE HARD parts"?!!! Would be glad to hear from anyone who could help with any info. Thank you, Paul. E-mail pk463@hotmail.com or cell ph. 781-718-9530 Again thank you.

Dear Paul, I've got two 1930 C models on the bench for full restorations and am facing many of the same problems. Johnny Sells' book on the 1929-36 Harley small twins is essential, as all the cycle parts are the same. Contact him at www.antiquemotorcycleworks.com. He also sells some parts. 1929 is the first year for the C model, which only ran until '34, and with the last couple of years probably being bikes assembled from stock parts. '29 will be stuffed with one year parts but some are being reproduced, like the twin headlamps, dash and Klaxon horn. The clutch from the 350 cc single is pretty weedy, but not as bad as with the 750 cc engine. The small slider gearbox is also not great and the gears are usually finished. You've also got a band brake at the rear, early and late '29 frames, early and late '29 forks, last year clincher wheel rims, one year toolbox etc. At least you are spared the vertical generator... Harley production figures show 1580 C singles built in 1929 and nearly 4000 more built until production ended. We have quite a few in Europe, and more went to Australia and New Zealand, but most of them are still basket cases because the money is not yet there in a full restoration. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks Steve

Comment

Paul and Steve:
        I too am building a '29/'30 model c. Do either of you have pictures of the proper frame, forks , clutch etc. for those years. I may have some extra parts but not sure what to look for,
        thanks
        Dan

Comment

I stink at typing , my ph#781 718 9530. Paul

Comment

There's good info on all this, including factory photos, in Johnny Sells' book. He says the clutch is the item on the bike with most changes over the years. All RL/DL/C model owners really need this book before starting (or buying) a bike for restoration.

Comment

I second that..This had to be a major undertaking...& Johnny is a great guy as well

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                I second that..This had to be a major undertaking...& Johnny is a great guy as well
                Thanks, that makes me feel alot better! Ha Ha. Paul

Comment

Working...
                X