"Tin shaft washer" for Flat Twin Harley 1920

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tin shaft washer" for Flat Twin Harley 1920

I have just got my Magneto back from repair again and was told there was too much oil inside magneto.
    The magnet used to work fine when cold and run out of spark when hot and return again when cooled down.
    Flat twin Harley Davidson model W Magneto is driven by gear in primary drive. Spare parts book shows a "Felt Washer" and a "Tin Shaft Washer" which go between Magneto and primary gear casing but in what order. Since I started working on my fathers bike there has never been any thing but a felt washer with a 3/4" hole in the centre.
    Can someone please let me know what the sizes of the Tin Shaft Washer for ID , OD , and thickness and also the hole size in the felt washer as I assume the outer Diameter would be similar to magneto size.
    Does the Tin Washer go against the case or the magneto as I assume this washer is what stops oil getting into magneto somehow. Is there any shape or is the Washer flat??
    Any help will be greatly appreciated Colin

bump test for new post link

Comment

I've got an original paint winners circle 1920 Sport but it only had the felt washer, I've never seen a metal one, does it show it in the parts book? (i'll look at mine when I get home) I've never had any trouble with the mag after the initial rebuild, sounds more like a heat problem to me....
      Louie
      FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
      Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
      YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Hi Louie
        I have seen photo of you with your Sport . Both 1919 and 1923 spares book copies I have, show tin shaft washer and felt washer.
        My Magneto shaft shows repair at the shoulder with what appears to be silver solder and a very narrow groove on the shaft at the edge of the gear.
        there is a machined relief around the hole on the crankcase. the felt washer that was between the magneto and motor had a 1" hole and OD of about 2"
        Should the felt washer be a tight fit on the shaft behind the gear?
        The magneto was rebuild in 2010 and worked fine until November 2015 and then stopped again Feb 2016 when hot . when allowed to cool down on back of trailer would start first kick again. all checked out OK but I had new condenser fitted just in case.
        Do you think it would be better to only use the felt washer?
        if so what thickness felt washer?
        Colin

Comment

Working...
        X