W book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W book?

A friend is working on a W, the fore and aft sport model, and asked if I could find literature.
    At Wauseon I asked a few folks who also had experience on W, and they informed me that no manuals were available.
    We think this bike is a runner, so are not too disappointed, but can anyone here also tell me that there were no manuals printed for the W?

Harley did not seem to write workshop manuals for their bikes until around the 1940s. For earlier bikes we have to rely on Owners Handbooks, sales brochures, and Shop Dope leaflets sent to Harley dealers. I guess it was on-the-job training or Harley Mechanic School back in those days. Our Club has still not produced a JD manual, so the W series flat twin manual will be a long way behind that. Try to find a few nuggets in Shop Dope Volume 1, check out the AMCA Virtual Library, and even check Douglas literature as this seems to have inspired this unusual Harley model.

Comment

You best bet is a copy of the Factory Instruction Book
      There's a wealth of information in one of them
      I've attached some pages out of my 1921 copy to give you some idea.
      If there's enough demand I could see about getting some copies done
      Attached Files
      Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
      A.M.C.A. # 2777
      Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

I know what you are going through as I finally got my fathers 1920 W Flat twin and now can ride it.
        1919 parts book show differences between 1919 and 1920.
        1923 parts book show other differences changed over the years.
        looking back through AMCA Harley Davidson Other you will find a lot of photos and info that I found helpful.
        I have been able to get info over the years from other members of the AMCA over the years.
        if you want particular info ask and I am sure one of us that have a flat twin will help.

Comment

thx all, for yr info. maybe library will reward, tommo?
          must ck later.

Comment

As others said, review the past posts and ask questions here. There are more than you might think out there up and running, mine is a 1920 original paint winners circle that runs great.
            Attached Files
            Louie
            FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
            Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
            YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Working...
            X