Cylinder Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder Identification

In among my J model spares and parts is this cylinder, which I believe comes off a Harley single. Can anyone give me any information on the year and model?

Harley 6 004.jpgHarley 6 005.jpg

it sure looks like a single. Check for a serial number stamped on the side of the flange. It will tell us the year...
    Dan Margolien
    Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
    Www.yankeechapter.org
    Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

20140424_161659.jpglike this
      Dan Margolien
      Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
      Www.yankeechapter.org
      Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Thank you Dan. After reading your post I cleaned up the base of the cylinder but found no sign at all of any serial number. No evidence either of a number having been removed as what look to me like the original machining marks were still visible on each face of the cylinder flange. However, under the baked-on oil and grime were three letter stamps on the bottom of the cylinder itself - Y, J and what might be an inverted C.

Photos are attached.

Single Cylinder 001.jpgSingle Cylinder 006.jpg

Comment

Mike- I looked at 3 cylinders and don't see the marks you show.
          I have what is a 12, the base flange has a B at the end of the sn- which matches the case; the 13 has a C after, and this number also matches the case #.
          The 14 does not have the number on the flange- but it does have a tapped hole for a cylinder primer between top fins on the side opposite the intake- not visible in your original pics. See if you have the hole. 14 was the first year for the primer.

According to my 10-17 parts book, 11/12 were same and 13/14 were same. We know that as replacements this may be correct, but I am not expert enough to know the distinct differences...for the 12, 13, 14 I have all bores the same (3 5/16), intake manifold interchange, intake valve housing interchanges. And I don't know anything about 11.

Pretty likely a replacement cylinder in the period did not have the case sn stamped on.

Dan

But I have only handled these 3 so do not consider myself an expert, but a student.

Dan
          Dan Margolien
          Www.yankeechapter.org
          Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Dan. I took another look at the cylinder. There is no hole for a primer. So, based on your detective work, does this suggest a pre-1914 casting, not originally supplied fitted to motor, but supplied separately as a replacement part? But the letters stamped on the base remain a mystery. Is there an expert out there?

I think most of us are still students. I've spent many years getting to grips with 18-23 J models, and still learn something new every time I engage with someone like Mark Masa.

Mike

Comment

Working...
            X