1915 Harley Davidson twin info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1915 Harley Davidson twin info needed

I am the new owner of a 1915 Harley Davidson twin. This is a significant jump back in technology as my other old bike is from 1929. I have a couple of questions:

1. The motor number ends with a K and there is no letter in front. According to info I found on the internet, all numbers followed by letter "K" 1915 models 11E or F or G. Is this accurate? What are the differences between models E, F, and G?

2. This is a 61 cubic inch motor correct?

3. I would like to understand the daily riding maintenance such as what to oil and grease prior to riding. Also interested in the types of oil and grease used. For example, grease cups on front forks, oil cups on rocker arms, oil tank, transmission etc.

4. Is there a good website that has information on these early Harleys? Is a maintenance manual or riders manual available? Anyone have a scan?

Thanks
    Erik Bahl

1929 BMW R63
    1915 Harley Davidson 11F Twin

Try Competition Distributing, Antique Motorcycle Works, J, and JD Yahoo Group, and Replicant Metals for literature. The owner's manuals will tell you all you need to know about lubrication. Daily maintenance is common sense. Bear in mind that your motorcycle is 100 years old so querying on forums like this is going to be your best source for specific questions that aren't addressed in the owner's manual. And, there are no repair manuals, only the owner's manual, and parts books.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Does this help?
      http://www.techsweb.us/hdvin1019.html
      Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Very helpful.

Looks like I have a 11F since there is no generator

• Model 11F - 61ci F-head V-twin, Three speed transmission, chain drive, magneto ignition, 8.68 HP
        Erik Bahl

1929 BMW R63

Comment

Holler when you are ready to ride. I'll chase on a late model indian. Anxious to see it!

Also, the oil is measured in ounces on that bike, not milliliters.

Comment

Are there any reproduction or original owners and maintenance manuals available? Something that covers the various adjustments and maybe rebuild.

Doug - start working on your earlier Indian, if you can get it done over the winter we can go through the learning curve next spring. I rode the Harley today for the first time around the neighborhood. It was quite an adventure. The handlebars and bike geometry are going to take getting used too.
            Erik Bahl

1929 BMW R63

Comment

Buy a 1920 manual,repop, That is a good book. What did you have to pay for a 1915 HD running? I can help you with most anything for a 1915 HD , Terry Marsh

Comment

Working...
              X