JD rear wheel drum and spoke dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JD rear wheel drum and spoke dilemma

I used Buchanan spokes to mount a 18" drop center rim on the 1925 JD hub instead of the clincher that was original. Now I have a problem. The heavier spokes and wide bend do not allow the drum to sit against the shoulder like it is supposed to do. Can anybody give me some help as to where I can buy the correct spokes.

A friend of mine thought the HD themselves had this problem on the later JD's with heavier spokes and actually moved the flange in slightly to accommodate the situation.

This is for my Cannonball bike so I need to get going on it.
    Attached Files

Perhaps a shim to move the brake drum outward a few thousandths?
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

are you sure the problem is not the re pop brake drum? does you rear hub have 2 grease fittings? maybe you can weld a ring to the inside of the drum. then turn down the backside where the spokes hit. most of my ideas are of the hair brain type and result in me saying" damn that was dumb" after i try it.
      i have some hubs at my mothers. when i get over to see her i'll check to see if some have thicker flanges.
      rob ronky #10507
      www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
        Perhaps a shim to move the brake drum outward a few thousandths?
        Chris I thought of the shim technique but would rather try to fix it the right way. Jon Neuman claims he has the correct spokes and is sending me a set. I am going to give that a try first.

Thanks Jerry

Comment

Jerry
          Later JD's did have a different hub for the thick spokes.
          Mark
          Mark Masa
          www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Yeah mark that is what I figured out by looking at another hub that sadly is junk.

Jerry

Originally posted by MMasa View Post
            Jerry
            Later JD's did have a different hub for the thick spokes.
            Mark

Comment

How did the larger spokes get into the smaller hole?
              rob ronky #10507
              www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

The new heavy duty spoke nipples were announced for 1929, and the 1927-31 parts book shows part number 3958-28 as rear hub complete for heavy spokes, later 1928 and 1929 61" and 74" twins. So it looks like the new spokes came in as a running change on late 1928 models, and needed a new hub with larger holes for the nipples.

Comment

Working...
                X