1924 JDCA spokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1924 JDCA spokes

My parts book list the spoke for the front wheel as part number 3943-16 and 3944-21 for the rear wheel. I have most of the original spokes that were unlaced from the wheels years ago. They're in pretty bad shape and I can't see any obvious differences between the +60 spokes I have. Can someone tell me what the difference between the front and rear spokes is? I was going to send samples to Buchanans so they could make replacements but to do that I need to send samples of both front spokes and rear spokes. Is any one aware of a better source for replacement spokes?

My rear wheel was complete; spokes are 0.16” diameter. This works out to 6 gauge. (lower gauge, greater thickness)
    I had my front wheel done the same thickness by Buchanan's. At the time I did this I’d found that the stock front spokes were a little thinner. My wheels had 40 spokes each.
    From another contributor, “The spokes are a 9 gauge for the front. The rear you might want to use an 8/9 gauge, giving a little more metal at the bend. I've had the 9 gauge spokes brake on the rear wheel since that’s the wheel that takes all the abuse.”
    Parts books shows spokes 3944-21 at 10 9/16” for rear wheels (1921 thru 1924.)
    3943-16 at 10 9/16” for 1921 thru 1924 front wheel only.
    Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Thanks Bill.
      I've gone through all the old unbroken spokes and they all measure out at approximately 0.150" at the nipple end which according to my wire gauge chart equals 9 gauge (0.1483" on the chart). In addition they all measure about 0.177" on the thicker section of the spoke at the hub which works out to be 7 gauge on my wire chart. I know these are the orginal spokes off the machine since I bought the bike in 1975 from the original owner's wife and I was the one to unlace the wheels (they were in bad shape). So I guess the mystery goes on.

P.S. According to my wire gauge chart 0.16" equates to 8 gauge (not 6). I got the chart on line and I'm reading from the column labled SWG (U.S. Inch). I'm I looking at the wrong thing?

Comment

You're probably correct. That was a few years ago, and I'm still learning. Bill
        Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Working...
        X