No announcement yet.

need help identifying seat plunger with a rectangular slot and one 16" spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help identifying seat plunger with a rectangular slot and one 16" spring

I recently purchased a seat post / plunger that was supposed to be for my 26 B-Single on Ebay as my original one is missing. It was one of those bikes that was being parted out and even showed a picture of the bike it came off of which was also a single just like mine. However, now that I have it in my hands, it doesn't match any Harley seat post that I'm familiar with and doesn't correspond 100% to any of the old parts books. At least one or two of these parts don't look like anything pictured in the book. Without having my original, two things have my curiosity going as to whether or not it is correct for my bike. One, the upper portion has a rectangular slot in it that has a tooth similar to a woodruff key machined into a sleeve on the threaded rod that travels up and down in the slot. That slot is the part I can't see in the parts book and the little sleeve with the tooth is not pictured either. Everything else about the top portion is the same as any other seat post with a 2" and a 2 3/4" spring inside and it fits the seat post bushing. All of my other bikes are newer and none of them have a slot so I'm in the dark on this.

The second questionable thing is that the threaded rod was rusted away at the bottom, therefore there was nothing there to hold the spring(s) in place. The problem is: the only exposed spring that came with it was 16" long and was just slid up onto the rusted rod. The parts manual calls for a 14" spring in some cases but not a 16" spring. Competition Distributing offers a reproduction seat post for my bike but it is just like the newer ones I'm accustomed to seeing with several springs on the bottom half and no mention of a single 14" long spring and no slot. I'm wondering if this is a fork spring for something or just something someone had laying around their shop that worked for them at the time.

So, if anyone can help answer these two questions, it would be greatly appreciated so that I know how to proceed with this part.

1. Should it have one 14" spring as mentioned in the parts book, or several springs like all the diagrams and charts of newer seat posts that we see all the time?

2. With that slot, is it the correct one for a 26 single or is it an earlier seat post that I'm not familiar with or maybe even for another brand of bike?

Thanks Again, Mark H.

Mark
    Sounds like a 1925-29 JD seat post.
    Mark Masa
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Mark,
      Is a JD seat post the same as for a single? I know it fits a JD because I have a JD frame that I tried it on and I always assumed most JD parts were the same as a single.

Thanks,
      Mark H.

Comment

Working...
      X