Drop-center rims on 28/29JD ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop-center rims on 28/29JD ?

Does anybody have personal experience adapting re-pop 30’s VL Kelsey Hayes style 19” drop-center rims to 28/29 JD hubs?
    I am wondering if they can be made to work with the same lacing pattern as original?

The following is what my research seems to indicate........

• VL’s used a cross-4 spoke lacing pattern front and rear.
    • Late JD’s used a cross-4 pattern at the rear, a cross-4 pattern on front RHS, and cross-3 on front LHS (brake drum side).
    • This LHS cross-3 pattern combined with the much larger diameter of the brake drum (compared with the VL hub), should mean that the spoke angles entering the rim are substantially different on the LHS, and hence different spoke angle drilling required for front and rear wheels?

Can anyone confirm how they actually went about setting them up?

this is a vl 19 inch rim with a 28 jd front brake. if you have good eyes you might just see it. good luck

rob ronky #10507
    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

I have stainless spoke kits for JD hubs that are for the 19" drop center rims. Send me a request to numo@sagebrushcycle.com and I will send you some information on lacing.

Comment

If you use 19" rims for K-Models or early Sportsters the angles are already drilled for half brake hubs. I use them on 45s because of that feature. JD would be the same.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

The Harley 'heavy duty' spoke nipple 3947-29 came out in 1929 and was used right through the VLs and until much later. With the JD rear hub a similar diameter to the VL one, this should mean the 19" VL dimpled and pierced rim can be used on the rear of the late JDs, probably with the VL spokes and nipples. It's a different story at the front, with lighter spokes and nipples plus the laced-in front brake drum. You'd need an unpierced VL rim and a different set of spokes and nipples as the replies above.

Comment

I purchased 19" drop centers and SS spokes from Tom at Replicant and they laced perfect to my stock 1928 JD hubs

Comment

Working...
            X