Clutch adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch adjustment

Having clutch adjustment issues on my 28 JD. Tried to use the manual I have but my tranny is a 25 so not the same procedure. Adjusted so that clutch disingages the tranny can't kick start cuz it just slips. Tightne it up so plates do not slip during kick start and tranny will not disengage and the gears grind during shifting. Brand new plates. Any sugestions?

Originally posted by wyatt emp View Post
    Having clutch adjustment issues on my 28 JD. Tried to use the manual I have but my tranny is a 25 so not the same procedure. Adjusted so that clutch disingages the tranny can't kick start cuz it just slips. Tightne it up so plates do not slip during kick start and tranny will not disengage and the gears grind during shifting. Brand new plates. Any sugestions?
    The experts would be at Waseon for the weekend. I'm sure you'l get your info by Monday .

Comment

Great. Thanks.

Comment

I was hoping for a response here for those of us not able to go to Waseon and chat with the experts in person.
        My VL has the same problem and may possibly have the same solution.
        Rich

Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Originally posted by frichie68 View Post
          I was hoping for a response here for those of us not able to go to Waseon and chat with the experts in person.
          My VL has the same problem and may possibly have the same solution.
          Rich

It's not monday yet. :] .

Comment

There is a large thrust washer that slips over the mainshaft just before the clutch is installed onto the mainshaft. Is it the correct thickness? If it is too thick, clutch adjustment is impossible. They came in various thicknesses. One should be selected so that there is about 0.005" gap between the thrust washer and the back side of the clutch hub bearing race. It's easiest to measure with the gearbox and clutch out of the frame, but it can also be done in place.
            Another thing to consider is I the clutch is assembled correctly.
            Mark Masa
            Mark Masa
            www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Problem solved, mine anyway. The pull rod nut was stripped just enough that it seemed to be working but was slipping. Put a new nut on and it is working great.

Comment

Working...
              X