Starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EMP:

Yes, you always start an engine fully- retarded. Left grip should be twisted away from you (counterclockwise) all the way. As soon as the motor starts to catch, you bring that back to full advance.

If you have it advanced when starting it, you may want to change your timer as it's probably too far retarded and you are giving up some power at speed.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Originally posted by wyatt emp View Post
      Plug wires up or down? Also in regard to the kick back, I have my timer fully advanced. Should it be retarded for starting lika a Model T?
      EXACTLY like a Model T, Wyatt. And for the same reasons: when just being cranked, or kicked, the crankshaft is turning very slowly, in comparison to the speed it is turning while already running.

The ignition sparks, and gas is ignited, well "before top dead center" (you'll see that written as "BTDC, by the way) so that the resulting expansion of the fired gases occurs JUST as the piston tops TDC, and forces the piston down in the cylinder on the next Power Stroke. So that the whole expansion doesn't occur before the piston ever reaches the top and spins backwards (known as a "backfire") the spark is "retarded," or made to occur later, much closer approaching to the top, "TDC," when cranking. That's why I said your problem is "timing."

I don't know about "fully," retarding, like sirhrmech advocates, tho. I've always had good luck starting Harley motors about half-way retarded in the range of possibility (half-way to the retarded limit) but if you're getting nothing but backfires from too advanced timing right now, definitely retard the spark, at least half-way. With everything else being adjusted to tip-top, and you will find a point where your motor will start and run. As soon as it starts, advance the spark fully, and then take off choke, and you'll be motorin'. Good luck and happy motoring!
      Gerry Lyons #607
      http://www.37ul.com/
      http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Got it. The point gap was way off. Starts right up, even with the timmer fully advanced. Thanks for all the advise.

Comment

Just out of curiosity... what do you have your points set at now? What were they set at? Was there a BIG difference? OR only a couple thousandths?
          Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

I am at work and do not recall exactly but I think the book called for .022, which is what they are at now. They were about .035 so BIG difference.

Comment

Wyatt!

If you did not re-time the ignition after the gap change,....
              It may run even better if you do.

...Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Yeah, .035 - .022 is a big difference! ;^)
                Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Working...
                X