Leather drive belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather drive belts

Who does good one? This is to go on a 1910 replica "Harley" from timeless. My belt has stretched and slipping... looking for someone who can do belts to 'go' not just show.

Also, old HD books talk about using castor oil to dress the belts... tihs still the best stuff, or has DuPont and their better living through chemicals come up with something superior?

BTW, adding a Magneto and a M16 Linkert to a timeless... makes it into a little rocket ship. What a hoot to ride! Front suspension leaves some to be desired, though. I bought a set of shock dampers from Comp. Dist. and I think that will help things a lot.

Cheers,

Sirhr

The Timeless belts are OK but if you do not condition them they are basicaly dry and will stretch and slip to the point of burning. (From experience). You can also try replacing the leather on the drive pully with Kevlar. I found this eliminated the slip problem. I used a Model T Kevlar transmition band for this.

Comment

Thanks and good idea on the drive band. I have a couple of early T's and some spare Kevlar bands hanging around. I'll do that as I think Kevlar Vs. Leather will be a much better friction surface.

The belt did stretch and burn. I put castor oil on it... but it still stretched. I plan (at this point) on having my local saddle-maker take 4" out of it and stictch it back together. Then I'll re-soak in castor. I have a spare Timeless belt, too, and will probably shorten to start with.

Thanks, Wyatt!

Cheers, Sirhr

Comment

Do a search on leather belts in this forum as I saw a thread a while back, when I still had my 1910, ( I found several metal quality problems with mine so I sold it and bought a 28JD), there is a place that makes leather belts with a kevlar insert center to prevent streching.......

Comment

How did you mount the magnito as there is no mounting plate on Timlesses motor?

Comment

Originally posted by wyatt emp View Post
            Any of the early battery models (HD or replica) can be converted from battery model to magneto model. Just need the mag drive to replace the timer cover. Mounts the same place. As for a belt, Mathew Smith had from Antique Motorcycle Works was working on a synthetic belt... looked promising when I saw it. Doesn't look original, but permforms much better than the leather.

Comment

Originally posted by wyatt emp View Post

There is a whole thread on the forum devoted to the conversion. I put up over 100 pictures as I did it. It wasn't hard... but it wasn't bolt-on either. There was a lot of fitting involved.

But the parts are available from Comp. Dist. and others. Magnetos come available regularly and are easily rebuilt. They totally transform the machines... The ignitions become totally reliable.

If you have any questions after reading the tread/pictures, let me know and I'll be glad to try and talk you through the conversion.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Working...
              X