1928 HD Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1928 HD Build

There have been several requests so here are some photos of my progress on my 1928 build. Building from parts as a Rat Rod as I am able to aquire them, which I have beeen told is imposible. 6 months in the works so far. Hope to have it on the road by spring. Started with the frame, tranny, gas tanks, wheels, and lower end motor. It also came with the original registration card from 1928, which is a "very cool" factor. The only parts I am missing at this point are the chain guards so it CAN be done. Front cylinder is done and rear will be mounted this week. Waiting on generator gears and I wil have all the parts I need and will be mounting the motor.SS850591.jpg100_0069.jpg100_0070.jpg100_0071.jpg

>Lookin good!
    Dan Margolien
    Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
    Www.yankeechapter.org
    Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks. I now know the meaning of "Labor of love"..........

Comment

Update on motor. Getting there.........100_0118.jpg100_0119.jpg

Comment

Mounted the motor last night. When timming the gears I was able to get all the marks to line up perfectly except the breather gear. It is off ab100_0123.jpg100_0124.jpgout half a tooth and could not get it any bettter. Hope that dosn't cause me any issues.... Tanks will be back Monday.

Comment

Well, got my tanks back. AARRGGG! The guy had them for two months and kept telling me he was alomost done. Got them back in the same condition I gave them to him as he did nothing!!!!! Back to square one.

Comment

A number of years ago I had an Indian Big Chief that had a less than perfect gas tank. I took it to a guy at a radiator shop who was highly recommended. When I first talked to the guy, he sounded like he knew what he was doing, and assured me that he could disassemble it and reassemble the tank with no problem. I think it was 6 months later when I surprised him at the shop (I had been getting avoided). He was drinking a beer that was in a rubber boot so his boss wouldn't see him drinking on the job. I have since taught myself to fix my own gas tanks.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Who can put an oil pump in a 1923 Harley JD left tank? I have replacement parts; original pump body is long gone leaving the two holes there. I will guess the tank needs to be taken apart to do this?
                Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Maybe the same guy. I feel your pian brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Whats wrong with your tanks? If they are not rusted through it should be easy to take apart and fix.

Comment

I need the new oil pump soldered into the old hole. I cannot solder.
                      Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

100_0201.jpg Modified VL left tank to fit. Still need right side. Rear wheel will be in this week. Start up motor attempt latter this week also. Has spark so?

Comment

Looking good, your alot faster than many of us :-)

Comment

Getting closer100_0221.jpg

Comment

Well, got it all togather but got realy frustrated as I could not get it to run. No compression at all. I have rebuilt Model T motors but am new to JD motors. Put it up for sale and sold it, but the guy backed out after giving me a deposit. Turns out to have been carma as I realy did not want to sell it anyway. Went back to it with a fresh attitude and found the exhaust valves were so out of adjustment they were open all the time. This should have been the first place to look, but just didn't the first time. Adjusted the exhaust valves to .008 and the intake to .001. Turned on the key, gave it a couple of kicks and suddenly, PRAP!PRAP! PRAP! PRAP! PRAP!, "IT'S ALIVE, ALIVE!!!!!!". It is VERY loud as I still do not have a muffler and my horses went nutts. After I fine tune the clutch, I will be ready to take her out for a test run. I am quite nervouse about it as with the suicide clutch and all, is very different from a modern bike. I will let you all know how it goes, if I survive!

Comment

Working...
                              X