1912 production numbers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1912 production numbers.

Looking through "The Legend Begins" is it possible to link the production numbers for 1912, quantified under seven model designations A, B, E, C, F, G, to the six model types shown in the model listing and the order blanks. I am most interested in the model X8E. Also does anyone have any production info on the 1911 twin (7D)?

Thanks, Ian
    Ian Biddle
    www.f-head.com

Hi Ian. I have a 1911 7D and there was a huge thread under pre 16 about 5 years ago.Herbert Wagner was a fountain of knowledge and the heading of the thread was 1913 Harley . I believe there were about 800 "doubles" made.
    Ross

Comment

Hi Ross, thanks for that, i had a look and its a very interesting thread. How did you get on with your bike, finished yet?
      Ian Biddle
      www.f-head.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
        Hi Ian. I have a 1911 7D and there was a huge thread under pre 16 about 5 years ago.Herbert Wagner was a fountain of knowledge and the heading of the thread was 1913 Harley . I believe there were about 800 "doubles" made.
        I would like to review the thread, but for some reason have not been able to find it. Could you enter a link here or be a little more specific regarding the name of the thread, date, etc. Thanks.

Comment

For the life of me I can't find a thread started by Herb with "1913 Harley" in the title.
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

It's under pre 1916 and it's page 12. Called 1913 harley twin engine. I started the thread Cory. Ian,The bike is mocked up with all the parts collected. I've stalled on it for over a year as i've been working on riders. retirement in a year then back to the 11 twin. Believed to be the second oldest production Harley twin not counting the factories 1909 protype.
            Ross

Comment

O.K. it's all coming back to me.... http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...ey-twin-engine
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                O.K. it's all coming back to me.... http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...ey-twin-engine
                That is an interesting thread Cory. That is true knowledge building, and shows the AMCA forum at it's best. Too bad the pictures don't last. Also, remember Martin? He even got around to insulting me once
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

I agree Eric. That thread proved that this webpage can be the best educator around when people use it wisely. I went from not knowing diddley squat about 1911 twins to becoming an authority over several years of meeting and working with AMCA members. All because of this webpage opportunity.For the record I spent that summer riding my new Harley and visited everyone who had a complete 1911 double. From Joe Gardella in Michigan to Nick Muth in New Jersy to even the new owner of the Otis Chandler bike who now has it in Salt lake City as well as others. logged 14 Kilometers and photographed some amazing bikes and visited with some very interesting people. I also bought all of Herbert Wagner's books after that as well.
                  Ross

Comment

Eric, I think both you and Ross are on the money regarding how good this site has been and how good it still can be. Ha... Martin!!! I had almost forgotten him. He was certainly full of pizz and vinegar!

Ross, I'm looking forward to hearing all about that double of yours sometime .
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

I'll do a whole thing on it when it's where I want it to be. I wish I was like Joe Gardella and could get 25 hours of work done each day on a build and still report on it each day.
                      Ross

Comment

Early Riders #1 has a Chandler '12 single 8xe? and they say 545 produced.....where did they get breakdown numbers?

Comment

Not sure on the numbers for singles but Herbert Wagner had a chance to look at the records years ago when he had access to the Motor Company and he seemed to have a pretty good feel for the twin nnumbers. We know there was sporatic numbering. Herb I think is the moast accurate source when he was researching his book At the Creation.I hope someday he writes a detailed book on the 1909 to 1919 era.
                          Ross

Comment

Faded early factory notes 1903 to 1920. Just total production per year...1911 total 5,625 motorcycles.
                            Sorry, no detailed numbers on singles versus doubles.
                            Harley early production numbers.jpg
                            Last edited by IRON; 01-13-2013, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X