broken jd case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken jd case

what is the main cause for jd cases broken at the breather and who can repair the case? thanks

In my opinion the main reason for the breather area breaking out is pieces of piston and the super thin baffle plates breaking apart and getting into the breather and then causing the gear to stop and wrenching the gear sideways thru the casting.

Show us some pictures of the damage to your case. I have fixed a couple of them but I am not really in the business of it.

Jerry

Comment

thanks jerry. it will take a couple of days for photos because i do not know how to send photos using e-mail

Comment

the breather gear area is in need of improvements. i have often thought that the breather tube could be made of nylon. with perforations all the around.so if anything got in to it. it would snap the tube not the case. or maybe a panhead one could be used with a mesh opening.
        rob ronky #10507
        www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

even the pan setup gets chewed.Here is how I fixed one!IMG_1403.jpg

Comment

PA120208.jpgPA120207.jpgPA120206.jpgPA120205.jpgPA120204.jpg

Jerry, Heather helped me put the pictures in. here they are!

Duff - I like your remedy also

Thanks!

Comment

I have the same breather crack on my 27 JD. I just left it cracked and have been riding the bike. Although a crack is something you tend to be concerned about, I don't think this crack creates any problems. I figure it was cracked long before I got it. The bushing is pinned, so its not going to spin or fall out. It's not even under alot of stess, its just a spinning breather. I think they crack because of uneven heat expansion. So if you weld it, it may just crack again. Run it and don't loose sleep over it.
              Last edited by harleytoprock; 10-12-2012, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by harleytoprock View Post
                I have the same breather crack on my 27 JD. I just left it cracked and have been riding the bike. Although a crack is something you tend to be concerned about, I don't think this crack creates any problems. I figure it was cracked long before I got it. The bushing is pinned, so its not going to spin or fall out. It's not even under alot of stess, its just a spinning breather. I think they crack because of uneven heat expansion. So if you weld it, it may just crack again. Run it and don't loose sleep over it.
                the above crack is not so bad i would tend to take your stance on run it. i have 2 cases that cracked in the lower left side of the breather. both of the cracks run out to the side of the case
                rob ronky #10507
                www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

thanks everyone. i will just run it as it is.

Comment

Working...
                  X