Coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil

Does anyone make a repop coil for a 28 JD or will something else work?

I don't see why any 6 volt coil wouldn't work. Wyatt, how did you make out with the clutch basket ring? Bob L
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

If you have your original coil and it is shot, the innards can come out and you can put in a small 6v coil. I had to do something similar with mine, including making a new 'cover' for it from kraft paper and fiberglass. But it works like a charm. I can send photos if you like.

I learned this past weekend that the 26 27 had a coil cover... metal... that went over the coil to protect it from water, oil etc. Anyone have one or repro them? Because I would like to put one on my '27!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Sirhr, I'd love to see pictures how you repaired you coil. Can you post them here?

Comment

I am not sure I have pictures of the process, but I can take one of the finished coil and describe it. I *think* I still have the mold I used for the cover. I'll see if I can find it and get a picture of it.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Originally posted by sirhrmechanic View Post
            If you have your original coil and it is shot, the innards can come out and you can put in a small 6v coil. I had to do something similar with mine, including making a new 'cover' for it from kraft paper and fiberglass. But it works like a charm. I can send photos if you like.

I learned this past weekend that the 26 27 had a coil cover... metal... that went over the coil to protect it from water, oil etc. Anyone have one or repro them? Because I would like to put one on my '27!

Cheers,

Sirhr
            1925 and 26 had the coil cover. 1927 went to wasted spark and coil changed. The covers are relatively rare, but I come across them from time to time. I'll keep my eyes open for one.
            Mark Masa
            Mark Masa
            www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Originally posted by wyatt emp View Post
              Does anyone make a repop coil for a 28 JD or will something else work?
              Look at bottom of this page.
              http://www.geloman.de/html/new_products.html

http://www.harleymc.cz/hdindian/hdi05-.htm
              Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Any 6 volt will do

Until you find another original coil or can repair yours, any 6 volt coil and a condenser will work. With that said, here's a few of the mounting solutions used by a few of the 2012 Cannonballer's on their JD's.

Coil1.jpg
                Coil2.jpg
                Coil3.jpg
                Coil4.jpg

Lippy

Comment

Great. I got one just like the first picture. I believe for a VL? Anyway I have more substantial issues. I sent my original generator and timmer out for repair and UPS lost it!!!!!!!

Comment

Bummer. I hope you had extra insurance. File a claim, and keep checking the tracking number using the internet.
                    Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

I think I have an extra generator and timer I could sell.

Comment

Already got one but thanks.100_0119.jpg

Comment

WOrked out great. Have it mounted and ready to go.

Comment

I have the coul in picture 1. So does the condenser go on the timmer side(Negitive) or the positive side?

Comment

Condenser goes on the timer side. Can is grounded and wired parallel with the points

Comment

Working...
                              X