Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD sport front damper help

Hello,

In disassembling the front damper I found that it has been wrongly put together and that the main "recoil spring guide rod" #298 has been replaced and some other parts missing as well.
    Looking in the spare parts catalogue, I tried to figure out how it should go together. You in the know, Did I get it right? please see the attached drawing view.
    IMG_0496_2.jpgdamper.JPGdamper_exploaded.JPG

I am missing #299 "recoil spring washer" I guess that the i.d. of the washer is the same as the o.d. of the guide rod?
    the #301 "lock plate screw" B014W, what kind of screw is this?

I need to make a new guide rod. If I understand it right it is important to get the length right since this will set the overall length of the damper once put together. it also looks to have domed upper shape?
    Could someone please measure an accessible length of the damper?

I would really appreciate if someone could help me.

Thanks,
    Martin
    follow my restoration on http://flattwinsport.wordpress.com

I'll pull some parts this morning and post from the office in a few hours. Looks like you have the assembly order correct. Have you made the spring compression tool shown in the HD service bulletin?
    Mark Masa
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Hi Martin,

The lockplate screw is a 10-32 x 1/2 fillister head screw.

I have found this in a list called numerical list of bolts, nuts, washers, etc as used on hd that I have got from Mr. Tom Wilcock.
      I can scan the list and mail it to you if you want.
      It was very usefull to me

Best Regards

Peter

Comment

HD Sport Fork Spring Parts

The screw is a Filster head.
        The spring washer measures at 0.118" thick x 0.875" OD x 0.467" ID. The ID looks worn from the rod and was probably closer to 0.4375" when new.
        I have two rods with different style heads. They are both OEM and both measure 7" long UNDER the head. I don't know which is early and which is late.
        Mark Masa

Mark Masa
        www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Mark, Peter. Thanks for you valuable input.
          Good that I got one thing right.

With the rod being 7", it looks like the recoil spring has to be quite compressed.
          damper_correct length.JPG

the rod with flat top might be newer, looks like a revised version with better spring seat.

Mark, I didn’t have to use a spring compression tool, it came apart anyway. I am interested to know more about this tool, I guess it will be needed when reassembling the damper.
          The HD service bulletin you refer to, can it be found in the “Harley Davidson 1917-1949 Shop Dope / Service Bulletins”?

Thanks,
          Martin
          follow my restoration on http://flattwinsport.wordpress.com

Comment

Martin
            Yes. It is in the early shop dope. Easy to make with basic tools and I would say ABSOLUTELY necessary when assembling the handlebars to the fork.
            If you don't find it, post and I will scan it and post it.
            Mark Masa
            Mark Masa
            www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Working...
            X