HD Sport Model jiffy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD Sport Model jiffy

I have build on a jiffy on my sport model so I do not have to lift the bike when I put on the stand.
    I have bought a jiffy from Michel Breeding and made an extra rod between my footboards.
    Look at the photo's and say what you think about it.
    I can say that my back is happy with it.

Peter

IMG_1575.jpgIMG_1576.jpgIMG_1577.JPGIMG_1578.JPGIMG_1580.jpg

Peter
    bike with jiffy stand look good and so now I know what my 1920 sport twin would look like if I made a Jiffy stand like yours.
    I also find having to pull the bike up on the rear stand a small inconvenience when ever I park it .
    I would like to see a photo of the stand in the up position and in riding position
    I gather the foot board frame was not stable enough without the cross brace but does it scrape when cornering as I quite often scrape the foot boards while cornering
    another question to help me improve mine. Is the seat the correct one for the bike as this is my next restoration to correct on mine as I have the same clutch pedal and seat springs as yours.
    here in Australia I have found on my bike I can not have the Air horn at the bottom of the Carburettor facing the rear head as it upsets the carburation on long hills but I assume you do not have many hills to go up near your home.
    Colin

Comment

Looks good! I've thinking of making one work for a while now. Yes, more pictures please . Did you buy a stand for a J model harley from Breeding? Thanks.
      Louie
      FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
      Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
      YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Hi Colin

I have looked at the front bracket to mount the jiffy but because of the shape and the fact that it is hollow it was difficult to do.
        Also the tip of the jiffy should be reachable near the starter crank.
        Thats why I have mounted an extra rod between the footboard frame.
        It hurt to dril the holes but I can always weld them up.
        The rod under the cilinder has to have a small dimple to past the pocket for the valve.
        I made some pictures with the bike on an angle so the footboard touched the ground and you can see that the jiffy is not on the ground yet so quick corners should not be a problem.

I use this airhorn( straight one) because the original one with the bends has wornout threads and cannot be fixed at the moment.
        This model saddle and the clutchpedal where on the bike when I found it.
        The clutchpedal is a 1919 model and I do not know why it was on the bike but it works fine.
        IMG_1611.jpgIMG_1613.JPGIMG_1615.jpgIMG_1616.jpgIMG_1618.JPG
        Last edited by Venus; 09-26-2012, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Yes Louie, I did.

I had to made a new plate to catch the jiffy when it is folded out and I made a bracket to position the jiffy when it is folded in so it is not hitting the flywheel cover.
          I also bend it a little after heating it with a torch so it clears the starter pedal when it fully down.
          The part where the jiffy is mounted in has two groves when you buy it but these groves are not on the correct position for this bike.
          The groves fixate should fixate the jiffy in the inner and outer positions.
          The outerposition is correct but the inner position is not for the sportmodel.
          I have made a thirt grove to get the inner position I wanted.

The extra position was easy to made with a small highspeed mill in an airtool and to bend the jiffy I used a piece of round copper to get the correct shape.

Comment

Looks like it was made for it, thanks.
            Louie
            FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
            Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
            YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Peter
              thanks for the Photos and info. It will be a great help when we make our own Jiffy Stand

Colin

Comment

Working...
              X