1933 Harley Springer Font End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1933 Harley Springer Font End

I recently purchased a 1933 Harley VL basket case from a friend that ended up dieing of a brain tumor. The engine and tranny is done. I have blasted the frame and Springer front end painted all the parts. NOW, since I didn't take it apart, I'm not sure just how it should go together correctly. Is there a schematic or such that I can follow to put it back together ? I have an idea but don't want to put it all together and find I have something together incorrectly. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have built two later model Harleys from scratch with no problem. Just hung up on this Springer. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to lend me. I'm hoping to run this bike in the Cannon Ball Run in 2014, if that is the next one after 2012.
    Slick

Slick,
    You need a copy of the VL book put out by Steve Slocombe of VL Heaven. http://www.vlheaven.com/TechInfo.html
    It will help you immensely.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks, Robbie ! Much appreciated !!------------Slick

Comment

Thanks also Robbie. Remember Slick that the tabs to mount the mudguard go at the front and you should be OK.

Comment

Thanks, Steve. I'll call you to order your book. Picking up my rims and front brake drum from the powder coater today. Just powder coating the rims and drum, painting the rest. Thanks so much for all your support. This will be a tribute bike to my Buddy that died of Cancer. It's gonna be nice !!!
          Slick

Comment

Originally posted by Slick View Post
            I recently purchased a 1933 Harley VL basket case from a friend that ended up dieing of a brain tumor. The engine and tranny is done. I have blasted the frame and Springer front end painted all the parts. NOW, since I didn't take it apart, I'm not sure just how it should go together correctly. Is there a schematic or such that I can follow to put it back together ? I have an idea but don't want to put it all together and find I have something together incorrectly. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have built two later model Harleys from scratch with no problem. Just hung up on this Springer. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to lend me. I'm hoping to run this bike in the Cannon Ball Run in 2014, if that is the next one after 2012.
            Slick
            This VL Springer was up for sale on Ebay recently It's chromed, and uses no fender mount parts, but only "jazzed up" a little bit, (capnuts and things) but figured it might help you as a starting point some. Maybe you can see how things go together more clearly with everything chromed.

VL Springer 09.jpg

VL Springer 11.jpg

VL Springer01.jpg

VL Springer 05.jpg
            Last edited by Sargehere; 08-24-2012, 07:31 PM.
            Gerry Lyons #607
            http://www.37ul.com/
            http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Thanks, Gerry. The pic's help alot. I now see where the offset rocker goes. I also will need to dig through the pile to see if I have the brace on the left side. Thanks again. You guys are great and I'm proud to be a member of the AMCA. Hope I can help somebody else like you guys are helping me !!
              Slick

Comment

Slick,
                I have a 33VC and can take closeup pictures and email to you of anything you need.

Bob
                Bob Selph
                1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
                1940 Sport Scout
                AMCA#15215

Comment

Thanks, Bob. Wow !! That is a beauty. Hope mine turns out that nice. Our oldest Son builds and paints custom Harley's and has done a lot of painting for a friend that has built several 98 point bikes. His bikes are all in the 40's, but he has already mocked up the paint scheme for mine. I like your rack and saddle bags. There is one thing I do need, and that is a battery box. My Buddy that died, had one special built but it doesn't fit the new battery he bought. I also have a 1933 license plate but the #'s read vertical instead of horizontal. No idea what it is off of but I know it is not off of this 33. Sooo, will be selling it or trading for a 33 horizontal plate.
                  Thanks again to all of you antique M/C guys that are willing to help me build this Memorial Bike.

Slick

Comment

Check with Tom Feeser at Replicant Metals for your battery box. Worsham Castle can do saddlebags.
                    Bob Selph
                    1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
                    1940 Sport Scout
                    AMCA#15215

Comment

Hey Bob,
                      I will definitely take you up on the picture offer. Can you send me your email address ?? Mine is b52@mchsi.com.

Thanks,
                      Slick

Comment

Working...
                      X