Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JD finishes - 1926

Hello,

I'm updating the finishes on my 1926 JD Cannonball bike. Any help on what correct finishes are would be greatly appreciated.

Are there any reference materials on finishes?

A couple specific questions:
    What year did the cylinders change from Nickel to Black?
    What finish are the neck bearing cups?
    Are the fork springs painted with the forks or Parkerized?
    There are a few square nuts on my bike presently (square nuts-upper rear battery box, square bolt-upper clamp on seat post for aux electric). A quick look through the Boon catalog didn’t reveal any. Did HD use any square head bolts or nuts?

Thanks in advance,
    Randy Hassler
    #68 2012 Cannonball

Below is some info Dan M passed along:

Painted color: frame, tanks, tool box, forks, fenders, battery box, tail light, rims, hubs, luggage rack, and thru 27 cases and transmission.

Painted black: seat pan, headlight, horn, generator, generator end cover, gear case cover, foot boards, high temp on muffler and pipes- I painted my trans case olive but the top black. 28/29 with Aluminum case top is black.

Parkerize: I am pretty close on this- all the clips, headlight mounting brackets and struts, footboard support rods, rear brake parts, I believe the trans shifter shaft, the shift rods, brake rods, top motor brackets, intake manifold. I parkerized the brake and clutch pedals. Sometimes in the old photos the clutch pedal looks nickel, but I can't be sure.

Nickel : is mostly the small hardware, little screws, control coils, shift lever, shifter rod ends and I think the clutch rod ends, possibly the brake rod end (I did parkerize the yoke shaped rod ends and have nickel only on the rounded ones, shift gate, and nuts, gas caps, fuel and oil lines, probably the carb, cylinders, rockers and rocker towers, exhaust nuts, intake manifold nuts, carb and timer connections, handlebar spirals, also the cylinders.

Wheels- I believe nicked or parkerized spokes with parkerized nipples is correct
Working...
X