Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch J JD A B models

I have a 1926 JD 74". My clutch basket has a 46T sprocket that is narrow,
    approximately .275" compared to my front engine sprocket, which is approximately
    .345". The sprocket is not worn.

What width is the standard twin model 43/44T clutch sprocket?

The '24 through '27 Twin models Riders Handbook notes clutch as 43T. '29 Twin
    models Riders Handbook notes clutch as 44T.

'27 Single Cylinder Riders Handbook notes clutch as 46T. Oct 17, 1927 letter
    titled "1928 standard gear ratios" lists 44T for all models except singles which is
    46T.

Can any single cylinder owners out there that can comment on how many teeth and width they have?

Here are pictures. Can anyone help identify what I might have here? 46T is wasn’t standard on J/JD’s and the width is narrower.

I’m also going to need a correct 43T clutch basket if anyone has one they can part with.
    Attached Files

Comment

I posted some additional pictures of my mystery 46T clutch basket and other 43T JD basket for some of the differences. Where the regular JD baskets clutch tooth’s individually welded to the outer ring or only in 4 places?

Comment

Randy
        Your 46 tooth clutch sprocket is either a home made or maybe even factory made item, but it would be for some competition purpose. Why they went with the narrow chain is a mystery.
        On your other question, the jd clutch sprocket teeth were not welded at all. The teeth were an integral part of the entire clutch back plate with the bearing race and basket riveted on. If you have seen one with a welded-on sprocket ring, that that would be a unit that someone has "re-toothed".
        Mark Masa
        Mark Masa
        www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Mark,

I was not referring to the sprocket teeth being welded, but rather in inner hub "clutch fingers" to the outer band. The welds can be seen on the outside of the band in the first and last pictures. Was there a year change when they started adding additional reinforcement to the "clutch fingers"? Ironically I can see cracks at the bottom of the clutch fingers on the 43T clutch hub and each finger in welded to the outer band. There are no cracks on the 46T where the clutch fingers are floating inside the outer band and only welded in 4 places. I believe the 43T basket has had a “harder life” in that the sprocket teeth are worn off and based on the marks around the rivets, the sprocket has been replaced at least once.

This may give a clue that the 46T is an earlier year.

Randy

Comment

Working...
          X