Riders tips for sportmodel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riders tips for sportmodel

I have just completed my 1921 sportmodel and I made some trial runs of appr. 10 to 20 miles.
    I have noticed that there was quite a lot oil coming out of the vent pipe to the rear chain and when I drained the motor there was a lot of oil coming out.
    I guess that the oil pump is giving to much oil.
    What is the best way to adjust the pump.
    I am also trying to adjust the carburator and am in need of any practical tips.
    Attached Files

Venus, you can adjust the oil pump by adding or taking off washers on the screw on the rear of the pump. This merely moves the rotating shaft forward or backwards so more or less oil runs through the slot when it turns. I had mine apart a week ago to clean out because I couldn't see hardly any oil in the sight glass. It's now dropping a drop every 5-10 second. I ran it at least once a day the last week and it's working fine.

But, you may have a problem with the tank pump leaking by and dumping oil into the bottom end. I know mine failed and dumped ALL the oil in the bottom a few years ago.
    Louie
    FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Thank you Louie,

I wil time the drops and check the tank pump.

Peter

Comment

Nice motorsickle Venus! It's good to see a pic from the side of the road. Louie was the sure bet to answer this question! Good luck!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Very cool machine, well done.

Comment

Here's a picture of a pair of original paint, winners circle, 1920 Sport models at the Southern National meet last week.
            Attached Files
            Louie
            YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

For the Sport Model fans out there, notice NO shield logo on the tanks, Harley Davidson script on every 1920 that I know of.........
              Attached Files
              Louie
              YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

engine numbers on Flat twins give year of motor but where is the frame number found as I have not been able to find one on my 1920 (with early clutch pedal) which my father bought and used from early 30's to mid 40's. I have put taps on oil lines to stop oil leakage into motor so I do not smoke out the neighbourhood when I start riding.

Comment

The frame number is found on the frame were it connects to the rear of the engine.
                  You probably have to remove the mounting plates that hold the engine to the frame.
                  It hard to see but it is there.

I have checked my handpump and its not leaking.
                  The oilpump was dripping to much and after removing some rings it working fine now
                  At the moment I am trying to fit a jiffy on my sport.
                  The bike runs good at the moment and I am very satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                  X