JD/VL Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JD/VL Battery

anyone have a recomendation for a battery to fit the J model / VL battery box. I did a search and came up empty
    Thanks....Rod

Rod,

I'm not up on my JD/VL battery measurements but I found this... http://www.ebay.com/itm/6V-Battery-H...-/370559633367 I can't speak for the product but it might be worth considering if the dimensions work out.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Dear Rod, I've used the 'made in India' repro batteries and found they leaked, plus the holes in the terminals are at 90 degrees to the Harley position. I'm back to using the generic B38-6A battery which you can find with an Internet search. This is the largest easily available 6 volt battery that fits the VL case, although needing some packing. For judging you'll need the lead cheaters and correct terminals fitted on top, or just take the points hit from those pesky judges.

Comment

I agree with what Steve says and that is what I have in my 3 VL's. I even leave them in the box and simply cut off the top to help fill the space and they fit nicely and it protects them. That won't pass judging but I don't have them judged anyawy I just ride them. They are available readily over the internet and most better battery shops. I prefer the Yuasa brand though as some are slightly smaller such as Intertstate. They run about $60-70. I don't like or trust the battery in a shell deal. The generator output is too much for most of the small batteries you get and will burn them out or they shake apart.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
        AMCA #12766

Comment

Hi guys...Thanks for the input. As it happens, I have a B38-6A battery in a 52 AJS in the garage. The light never went on to check it's dimensions to see if it will fit in the J batt box. This bike will be a rider, so that will work just right for me. Thanks again...Rod

Comment

prob. to late with a response . but have one more option maybe. great plains cycle in lincoln neb. sells a 6volt 18amp gell batt for about 72.?. but youd need to make up for size diff..

gww57.com

Comment

gww...thanks for the sugestion. Might consider that. That looks like Ross VanEtten's bike. If it was, I took a ton of pictures at Farmington and Davenport, when I was trying to figure out how to assemble mine.....Rod

Comment

evening Rod, it certainly was. dont think there are to many painted up red white and blue. at least what little i ve seen. i purchased it from him last year.
                gww57.com

Comment

I use the same type of gel battery that I bought from Batteries Plus. I fill in the space with foam.
                  Bob Selph
                  1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
                  1940 Sport Scout
                  AMCA#15215

Comment

gel battery

If your having good luck with those gel batteries with the male terminals your lucky, I have had 2 of them take a dive on me, 1 close to home, the other 300 miles + away from home, had to strap a 6 volt to the luggage rack to get home.

Comment

what was the down fall? i d like to know
                      gww57.com

Comment

Gel cell batteries have zero tolerance to being over charged. That is usually their downfall.

Jerry

Comment

I've had a sealed "gel" (supposedly a burglar alarm "reserve") 9AH, 12v. battery standing on its end in my '37 UL's wrap-around oil tank for, I dunno egg-zackly, but for over three years. I tinkered up a tin box, the O.D.s of an H-2 battery, slipped the battery in, with only about 1/4" of hard foam down its back, and about an inch-and-a-quarter underneath (hollowed out to hold a stock H-D 15a. circuit breaker on the "hot" wire) and never had to fool with it. An OEM battery top covers it all up.

Of course, the whole bike is run by a 12v. bolt-in "Poweraythor 32E" 40a. replacement alternator, built by Ray Duguay up in New Brunswick, Canada (AKA:"saddlebagrail" on caimag.com and shovelhead.us forums). Ray does beautiful work. Bike uses a Springer Softail 12v. OEM horn I bought across the counter at a Harley Boutique, and a 12v. coil, but now I ride carefree of the electrical system.

I suffered that archaic OEM 6v. stuff for 30 years, even riding back and forth across country to National Meets with it, but, if you ride a vintage Harley every day, like I do, nothing holds a candle to using 12 volts for bright lights and an audible horn!
                          Last edited by Sargehere; 03-17-2012, 12:06 AM.
                          Gerry Lyons #607
                          http://www.37ul.com/
                          http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Repro Battery

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                            Dear Rod, I've used the 'made in India' repro batteries and found they leaked, plus the holes in the terminals are at 90 degrees to the Harley position. I'm back to using the generic B38-6A battery which you can find with an Internet search. This is the largest easily available 6 volt battery that fits the VL case, although needing some packing. For judging you'll need the lead cheaters and correct terminals fitted on top, or just take the points hit from those pesky judges.
                            Steve,
                            I just put one of the 'made in India' batteries in my JD. There was a handrawn picture included that shows filling with acid to 1/4" above the plates and large text 'Do not to overfill'. I'm curious where did they leak?
                            I'm a newbie so I need to ask on the OEM battery which plane are the post and what are the correct terminals? My repro battery the post flats are horizontal with a vertical screw hole.

Comment

gww & RPjr Would you post a picture of the nomenclature of the gel battery you are using. I have used ones that look like yours but they were not gel cell (glass mat) they were sealed lead acid batteries. the first one gave me 2 years service but the other 2 failed early. I am unsure if they don't last because of the heat from the oil tank or vibration shakes them apart internally. I could charge them up with a battery charger. They would show 6 VDC sitting static. Turn ignition & lights on & within seconds it would drop to close to Zero VDC.

Comment

Working...
                              X