Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washers For My Nuts

Hey Guys

Got a question for ya.. In regards to my 1920 WF Sport Twin restoration; I'm trying to deside whether to put lock washers or flat washers or no washers under the cylinder base nuts. I know this is a little detail, but it can be important when it comes time for a AMCA Judged Event. On our fourth floor in the Museum, we have several Harley Davidsons. As well as other original early American bikes such as Flying Merkel, Yale etc. The original bikes have no washers at all under their base nuts. So I'm leaning towards no washers. What do you guys think? My next move is to put a call into Bruce Linsday. I'd like to hear what you guys know on the matter.

As always..Thank!!

Denis
    J.Denis McCarthy Come visit The Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum
    www.barbermuseum.org

Hi Denis,

I did not used washers used unter the cilinder base nuts.
    They are not mentioned in the partlist.
    Do you have normal nuts or the long model?

Peter

Comment

base nuts

Hello Denis Ask Tom Wilcox fron canada.I know he has restored at least one of these. benson

Comment

Thanks Guys

Peter I believe the nuts are on the longer side. But mine were in bad shape so I may have to use standard 5/16-24 nuts. Do you have a source for good "long" nuts?

Benson, do you have any contact info on Tom Wilcox? Is he a member? I believe I've heard his name mentioned before.

Thanks again

Denis
        www.barbermuseum.org

Comment

Denis, my Sport is a 98 point winners circle bike that I'm pretty sure every nut and bolt is original and it has NO washers on the cylinder base nuts.
          Louie
          FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
          Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
          YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Ah! Thats very good to hear Louie! Have you uploaded some pictures of your bike? I sure would like to inspect them. Sounds like a wonderful Sport!

Thanks!!
            www.barbermuseum.org

Comment

Hello Denis: I heard my name mentioned. A couple of years ago I made a Harley Sport model chaincase and I believe also a flywheel cover and exhaust system for Brian Slark at the Museum. I sent him something else about a year ago for the same bike. Is this the same bike you are working on? I did not use lockwashers for the cylinder base nuts on my restored 1920 Sport Model. Like Peter says, they are not shown in the parts book. An engine I have for another basket case Sport Model has very thin lockwashers only on the 4 front cylinder studs. The engine has not been apart for a very long time but that does not make it correct. The bottom stone guard attaches to the bottom studs. Do you have a copy of "Numerical List of Bolts, Nuts, Washers, Etc, as Used on Harley-Davidson Motorcycles and Sidecars" It is dated Feb. 1 1920 ? I will make a copy and send it to you if you don't have it. It is a valuable booklet when restoring early Harleys. Tom Wilcock #381

Comment

Denis: I just checked my "Numerical List...." and it states that the cylinder base nuts are "5/16-24 x 17/64 x 1/2 Hexagon nut" That was too easy. Tom

Comment

Hey Tom

Great to hear from you. Yes. Its the same bike. About 80 percent complete at this point. Your chain guard and exhaust are a nice addition to the bike. Thanks! I don't have a copy of the hardware booklet. Would you mind sending me a copy? Please send it to my house as it may get lost coming to the Museum. My address is

Denis McCarthy
                  1657 Montague Street
                  Leeds, Alabama 35094

I would be happy to pay you a fair amount for the booklet and postage. I think I'm going without the washers. Unless something else turns up!

Thanks again

-Denis
                  www.barbermuseum.org

Comment

Tom, would you look at this part and identify if you can. I believe perhaps Aliens put it in my parts box because I can't seem to remember were it goes.

Thanks!

www.barbermuseum.org

Comment

Also Tom,

Do you have page 17 of the parts manual? Mine is AWOL. (From "Directory of Spare Parts")
                      www.barbermuseum.org

Comment

Denis: I do not recognise that part as being for the Sport Model. It has been 30 years since I restored mine. Mine is a generator model though. Which parts manual are you missing the page from. I have one issued Nov. 15, 1919 that covers the 19&20 models. The other one covers 1919-1923 and was issued Aug. 15 19. Tom

Comment

Tom

My manual is the 1919-1923 produced by the factory. I was thinking that the part in question might be on that missing page. Thanks for any help!
                          www.barbermuseum.org

Comment

In the 1919 to 1923 Parts Book on page 3 look at items 7 (GO699B) and 8 (WIA61).
                            You will see that there are two different nuts holding the cylinders on. Long and Std.
                            It doesn't give quantities but my Flat Twin has one long one on each of the bottom cyl base studs behind the flywheel. The other ones are just standard HD nuts.
                            My motor has obviously been apart at some stage in its life so I'm not sure if this is the correct placement of these long nuts or not.
                            I've looked at the picture Chris put up here and can't see the long nuts on that side of the motor so maybe they are where they should be.
                            Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                            A.M.C.A. # 2777
                            Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

I should have said the 1920 on Flat Twins have the long nut
                              1919 didn't
                              Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                              A.M.C.A. # 2777
                              Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Working...
                              X