Need side car measurments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need side car measurments

Guys, I need help! I posted this on the JD message desk with no luck. I need measurements for my 1918- 23 sidecar, the rear support rail that goes from spring to spring that the tub sits upon. I have the original front one but the rear was long gone. The question here is the width and height of the bar. The front measures out at 7/8X1/2". Is the rear the same? I know the rear is longer. I just measure between the spring bosses on the frame. I also need the tub mounting hole spacing, two in the middle and one off to each side. Any help would greatly appreciated, Bob L
    Last edited by Robert Luland; 10-23-2011, 02:02 PM.
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Bob, I'd run out right now and do some measuring but I'm doubting my National hack is the same as your H-D. For curiousity sake I'll go and see if the rails are the same dimensions. Hopefully somebody with a J-Model and sidecar can help you out.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

I seriously doubt this is gonna be of much use to you Bob but for what it's worth the dimensions on my hack are different from yours but they are identical front to back.
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

The material is the same as the front 7/8 x 1/2
        The two centre holes have 1 inch centres and the outer holes are 7 3/4 inches outside from the corresponding centre hole.
        I've attached a photo of several rear mounts just for interests sake and the one you need to use depends on the body style and year of chassis.
        Attached Files
        Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
        A.M.C.A. # 2777
        Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Peter, you are a great human! Time to get that lathe a roll'en. This is the one item thats been holding up the whole prodject. Pete if you could comfirm one more thing for me. From what I can see in the parts book. It appeares that there is a 1/16" thrust washer that goes on each side of the spring bushing? My measuerment between the spring bosses on the frame and the length of the original front bar only allows for an extra 1/16" on on each side between the springs. Not that I can't make it anything I want but it would be nice to know what the orignals were. Bob L
          Last edited by Robert Luland; 10-25-2011, 05:58 AM.
          AMCA #3149
          http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

The shank where it goes through the spring eye is 1/2 inch and the threaded portion is 5/16 UNF.
            The inner washer has a 1/2 inch bore and the outer one 5/16 inch bore. Both have the same OD.
            The nut is done up tight thus pulling the outer washer up against the shoulder and retaining everything.
            Clearances need to be on the generous side as spring flex can bind the whole lot up if you're not careful.
            Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
            A.M.C.A. # 2777
            Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Working...
            X