1925 JD fenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1925 JD fenders

I am building a 1925 JD for the 2012 Cannonball Run. To my knowledge no one is making the 1925 1 year only rear fender. I bought a 1926 to 1929 repop rear fender at Davenport. What is the difference(s) between 1925 and the 1926 and up fender I have. I tried the new fender in my frame and I see the frame reliefs are not deep enough. Are there any other differences. If anybody had a picture of a 1925 fender that would be a big help.

Jerry

1925 was the last year of the narrow fenders, first year of the tear drop tank so no 26 fenders won't fit without extensive modification.
    I'm pretty sure Adam Higgins in Australia does the 25 and earlier guards.
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Tommo I thought 1924 was the last year of the narrow fenders. My 25 frame is almost identical to a 27 frame I have except it is majorly different at the rear frame stays and is probably a 1/4" narrower between the upper tubes going from the rear stays to the seat post.

Jerry

Comment

1925 still had narrow fender like Tommo says, but Tommo, why wouldn't 1926 to 1929 guards ( front or rear) fit on a 1925 chassis? The frame and forks are essentially the same from 1925 to 1929. Obviously there are slight changes in the frame with regard to rear axle adjusters and double butting in some of the frame tubes but I would say that all 1925 to 1929 frames are interchangeable. On the fork, there's a 1928/29 front fender as the cutout for the legs on the left side was changed slightly to accommodate the front brake anchor, but again the forks are basically the same and interchangeable from 1925-29. While both the 1925 front AND rear fenders are one year only parts, I don't see why a 1926-29 rear or a 1926-27 front or 1928-29 front wouldn't just bolt on. Am I missing something here? Jerry, do you have the correct fork on your chassis? Post some pics.
        Mark Masa
        Mark Masa
        www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Mark and Jerry
          There is probably no reason why the rear guard won't fit as there is some evidence that some late 25 models were seen with a wide rear guard.
          As far as the front goes I've never tried to fit a wide guard and the parts books do list in 1926 a wide guard that will fit 1925 3701-26E
          I've just sat a couple of them side by side (fronts) and the major difference appears to be the stays.
          I'll get some photos as soon as possible for you.
          Very busy at present so please be patient.
          Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
          A.M.C.A. # 2777
          Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Christian Henn www.geloman.de Is listing a 1922 to 1924 rear fender, in his price list he states it will fit a 1925.
            Mark do you have any pictures that show the change in the 1928/9 front fender to clear the brake reinforcement on the fork leg? I am working on a 29 and it would help if I knew what the difference looked like.
            Pete Reeves 860

Comment

1928/29 JD Front Guards

Pete
              No offense to Christian, but his application years on his parts are not very accurate. Taking only the steel into account and disregarding paint and striping colors, there is a 1915 rear guard, a 1916 rear guard, a 1917 rear guard, a 1918-1922 rear guard, a 1923 rear guard, a 1924 rear guard, a 1925 rear guard, and a 1926-1929 rear guard. I'm not exactly sure what his 1922-25 guard is, but it would fit a 1925, but would probably be incorrect. That is it will fit if he made it correctly.
              Here's a picture of a 1926/27 front and a 1928/29 front guard. Notice how the later guard has a rearward taper in the cutout for the fork legs.

Here's one on a 1928 so you can see why it's needed. It is only on the left side.
              Mark Masa
              www.linkcycles.com

Comment

I have (what I now know) is a '28-'29 front fender. I never noticed the sides were asymetrical. Mark, you and Tommo amaze me.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

are the fenders the same. with changes only to the brace and the rear skirts?
                  rob ronky #10507
                  www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

My bad. I just realized that the top fender in my picture is either a 1924 or a 1925. The comment about the braces made me take a second look at it. The detail on the left cutout for the fork leg is similar however. I'll look through my pictures to see if I have a left side picture of an actual 1926/27 fender.
                    Sorry about that.
                    Mark Masa
                    Mark Masa
                    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Working...
                    X