1938 UL tank bungs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1938 UL tank bungs

Hi, my name is Mike Braley and I am a new member of the AMCA.
    I am currently working on a 1938 UL and need to identify the correct right side tank.
    I am including 2 pics of 2 ul right side tank bungs. Would someone please identify the years of each?..thanks Mike
    Attached Files

Factory photos show the welded bunghole on the '37, '38, and '39. Lets see all of that tank with the swedged fitting in the bottom. It may be an XA tank.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

The left picture is the correct one for 37-39 U models using petcocks on each tank, The right tank looks like a later tank (1940-) that has had the fuel line nipple cut off.

Comment

More 38 ul pics

Here are a couple more pics..thanks Mike
        Attached Files

Comment

is the bung in the same position on both tanks? If it is then you have one 37-39 ul tank and one 40-46 ul tank with the fuel line nipple removed. If the red tank has the bung near the outside edge of the tank and further towards the rear than the other you have a XA tank. The hole for the petcock will also be lager if it is an XA tank. It will be the same size as the petcock hole on a stock 37-39 left ul tank that uses the reserve petcock.

Comment

Thanks for the info. The distance is the same and the hole is the smaller right side size. It had an original petcock screwed in. When I looked closer, it seems like the nipple might have been removed. I know the matching (red) left side is a later model that
            has been made to look like a 38 by filling in the threaded shut off apparatus that goes thru the tank in front of the shift gate. I found that out by sticking my finger in the filler hole and feeling the bondo (or lead) from the inside. I figured the nipple might have been removed but wasn't sure.

Comment

Working...
            X