WLJ info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WLJ info

Does anyone have documents or pictures of a 1951 WLJ motorcycle? I believe these were export motorcycles to Japan at the time of the ending of our occupation forces being stationed there. Other sources have said they were sent to Europe, but I can't verify what the J would mean if these went to Europe. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks.....

That is a new one to me. After the war the Harley clone the Rikuo was still being made in Japan. Why would someone in a war torn country want to pay import duty for a machine they could buy domestically? In fact the Rikuo was a better machine than a WL. I have looked at the factory production figures and I find no mention of a WLJ model.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I've seen two or three good engine cases around 1950 with WLH engine numbers. Saw them in the Netherlands where the local guys believe the H was for Holland, and say they were brought in for use by the Dutch Automobile Association and others. It seems odd, as the Americans left a 20 foot high wall of abandoned WLAs in Holland in 1945, many of which I see each year still running at the Old Timers rally in August. The Harley black book does not specify a WLH model, so they must have been lumped in with the WLs. Contrast this with the eight 1933 RLEX models for Germany, and the one 1934RLDX (which still survives in original teak red and silver paint), where they are listed as separate models in the Harley production figures.

Comment

Hi Steve...I have a title for a 32RKDxxxx. Title only, no bike. I have always thought this title was completely bogus. Have you ever seen anything
        in Europe along this line?........Thanks Rod

Comment

Dear Rod, I'd guess it's a typo for a 32RLD. I have one old PA title 32BL5214 with one character wrong, and an old Indiana title for 35Y2D6224 where I think I have the matching cases 35VLD6224. Would any Pennsylvania or Indiana readers like to tell me my chances?

Comment

Here's some info that Eric posted at CAIMag about this subject.

http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...-on-AMCA-forum
            47 WL
            51 Ls Sidecar
            03 FLHT
            http://www.gouldingsidecars.com

Comment

Steve - I recently titled my '48 pan in PA and when the title came in from the State it had a "z" on the end of the VIN. I transferred the title from NJ and for some reason they added a "z" to the end and we didn't notice it when I was doing the PA paperwork. I took it back to the tag shop (we use mid-20th century messenger services in PA instead of dealing with DMV directly) and the guy told me to bring the bike to him so he could verify the actual VIN. Once he is able to verify the VIN he just needs to submit the paperwork to correct the title with the State and everything should be kosher. I would imagine that you could bring the title along with the motor and they could set you up with a nice new title to match your VIN. There's been a couple of times where I just bring the motor to them and they don't ask too many questions.
              Scott
              AMCA# 13993

Comment

I have a '40EL that the title says 403L, a dyslexic employee was somewhere down the line I guess. I am having hell correcting it here. Easier to start from scratch as if no title existed. And it was last transferred in '57!
                Robbie
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I just bought a 38UL and the title says 38VL and its been that way since at least 1954 another NJ VIN typo.

Comment

Yup, I had the reverse situation when I bought a 1930 VL last year in Texas with the title reading 30UL. Another typo which took a while for the new Texas owner to straighten out. Must be harder with out of state titles. Here in the UK, license plates are issued only once and ones with low numbers or interesting letters are valuable when transferred. We used to see 'mule' bikes where the numbers were repeatedly restamped to match up with the title of some long scrapped vehicle where only the paperwork survived. As in the US, getting titles has become much harder in recent years, which is kind of a good thing except for the bureaucratic paper chase.

Comment

Response to all

American Iron shows a close-up of a HD VIN boss that has 51WLJxxxx pictured. It looks like a factory stamping. The J is straight legged with no serifs. It is NOT like the 20's J on the J and JD models. I have been in contact with a source in the Netherlands who owns a complete motorcycle with a WLJ motor in it. It has big twin front brakes and civilian fenders and tanks. He obtained it from Indonesia. This motor also appears to have an unaltered VIN boss.
                      Pertaining to the Japanese connection: 1951 is the early stages of an independent Japan. The entire country was exposed to MacArthur's occupation forces for over five years. This includes jeeps, tanks, half tracks and of course, WLAs. I submit that the Japanese military could easily have ordered Harley export motorcycles.
                      I do realize this is a theory of explanation.
                      I think the basic question still remains:are these WLJ motors authentic, non-altered motorcycles. If these pictures are valid, then the next question is for whom were they made?
                      I am still looking for manufacturing proof of their existence, but theories, comments, and conjecture are welcome.
                      Thanks again.....

Comment

The WWII Japanese military used Rikuo motorcycles which were continued to be made in Japan until the mid '60's. Face the fact that the Rikuo clone of the H-D WL surpassed it. With a four speed transmission and a hydraulic fork plus being made in Japan which made it cheaper. Why would Japan import a H-D when they had a better bike there? If H-D had sold bikes to the Japanese military wouldn't there be a record of it? Did Japan even have a growing military during this time? No military researcher I know of has ever heard of post war H-D's being sold to Japan.
                        It is known that H-D military models were sold to the French government for use in their war in Indonesia. Perhaps the letter J is for Jakarta? I know when I was in Saigon, Viet Nam in 1966 I saw a lot of H-D 45's there. These had a two wheel front axle installed on them with a bench seat above the axle. I often rode on these cycleo taxi's as they were called. I never investigated the numbers on them.
                        Be sure to visit;

Comment

Thanks, Chris

I value your info and research base. I was also wondering if the J could be for Jutland. Most of the known J models are in the Netherlands. There is an unsubstantiated claim of 247 WLH models being sold to Holland. They are 1950 models. Jutland is in the same area of Europe.
                          Is there a source you can recommend to me so I can follow up on the French connection?
                          Thanks in advance.....

Comment

There are hundreds of things the letter J could stand for. Why everybody feels Japan is the only answer is beyond me. In the '60's bikes built for Indochina and Indonesia carried the letter B. I have photos of Sportsters where you can clearly read the XLB numbers on them.
                            Be sure to visit;

Comment

Unsubstantiated claim? Picture of a 50WLH case found in Holland.

Pete Reeves 860
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X