Corbin Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corbin Information

I'm trying to free up a Corbin speedometer. The spindle does not turn. The weights and the part that they are attached too are free to move up and down but do not rotate. The drive at the base does not turn. Any information would be appreciated. A diagram of how the remaining parts come apart would also be of help.

DSC_0484.jpgDSC_0480.jpg

Originally posted by downunder vl View Post
    I'm trying to free up a Corbin speedometer. The spindle does not turn. The weights and the part that they are attached too are free to move up and down but do not rotate. The drive at the base does not turn. Any information would be appreciated. A diagram of how the remaining parts come apart would also be of help.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6001[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6002[/ATTACH]
    The cable connector unscrews from the speedo can. This can be very tight and diffuclt to remove. Then you need to drive a pin out of the dog the cable drives and pull it off the shaft. Then unscrew the race. The shaft is supported on ball bearings (different sizes each end). I'm guessing the drive end bearings are frozen. Let me know if you need a picture of a disassembled unit ... Perry
    Last edited by Perry Ruiter; 01-09-2011, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Soak all parts throughly with Kroil and let it sit a day or two.
      http://www.kanolabs.com/
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Hi Perry,

I think that you are right as to what is going on. I would be grateful if you did have a photo of a disassembled unit. Thank you in advance.

Thanks Chris it's been soaking for about two weeks but still no luck. I will continue to soak and heat.

Comment

Hi Perry,

I think that you are right as to what is going on. I would be grateful if you did have a photo of a disassembled unit. Thank you in advance.
          Here's a speedo off a 1937 Indian I'm overhauling. You can see the production date stamped inside the can. Do not use the flyweights to try and force rotation. Best to get the cable connector off and use the cable dog for that. Good luck ... Perry

Edit: looking again at your pictures it looks like the shaft is broken at the point where the pin went though and the tail end with the drive dog is missing.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Perry Ruiter; 01-09-2011, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks Perry, That photo gives me more of an idea as to how it all goes together. I think my speedo is slightly different. The shaft is not broken and on the cable end there is a slot cut that can be seen in the first photo. There are other minor differences also. The flyweights are a different shape to yours for example. I don't think mine ever had a pin through the shaft. Thanks again for the photo. At least now I know that the part that you have placed alongside the shaft needs to come out first. I will need to make up a tool to undo it.

Comment

I think my speedo is slightly different. The shaft is not broken and on the cable end there is a slot cut that can be seen in the first photo. There are other minor differences also. The flyweights are a different shape to yours for example. I don't think mine ever had a pin through the shaft.
              You want fat flyweights? Here you go. You can see the shaft is still has a hole for the dog's pin. The fat ones are earlier (not sure exactly when the change, but early 30s I think). I try and keep an open mind since you don't learn anything otherwise, but I've never seen a motorcycle speedo driven by a slot in the shaft. Certainly some shafts were slotted (see lower shaft), but from my experience when these were used on a motorcycle the slot was squeezed closed, a dog fitted and pin driven through the remnants of the slot as per the non-slotted shaft ... Perry
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Perry, If or when I get it apart I'll send you a photo. As you say the more you can keep an open mind the more you can learn. The speedo came to me with a large collection of V model parts many of which were 34 model but thats not to say for sure that it was used on a 34 or something else. Keeping this in mind I'll need to be carefull in regard to the cable and the way it drives.

Comment

Don't forget AMCA member Doc Schuster's book on the Corbin Speedometer is still available to help you.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. Three weeks of soaking in penetrating oil and the shaft turned today. Still haven't been able to dislodge the cable connector at the base of the can but will keep soaking.

Comment

Nothing penetrates better or faster than Kroil.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks to Perry, Terry Marsh and others I have everything set to go with my speedo. Just one thing if any of you can assist. The inner drive of the cable does not marry up with the dog in the speedo neck. The end of the cable with drive that fits into the dog on the end of the speedo shaft is about 1.5 mm longer than the outer cable but the dog is 4 mm inside the threaded neck of the speedo. I have a new shaft in the speedo so I don't think that is the problem. Any ideas or photos would be appreciated.
                        Regards
                        Phill (downunder vl)

Comment

call this number as soon as u read this 1 541 882 2613 ask for tarry he runs corbin cable co.

Comment

Working...
                          X