DL Muffler 1931

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DL Muffler 1931

I have a '31 DL, acquired this past summer. I am finishing up a re-commissioning to get it back on the road by spring.

The previous owner sent out the original, one-year-only muffler for welding not long before I bought the bike... and it disappeared from the welding shop. It's the last part I lack...

I am planning on making one up, using a repro WL military muffler as a donor. The fishtail, while not exact, is closer than any of the others. And the z-bend looks like it will fit. I just need to graft in a center section of pipe w. a couple of baffles.

Before I start, I wanted to see if anyone has made one of these... or has one available... or has any advice?

Thanks and cheers,

Sirhr

Got in a WLA muffler and went to work w. bandsaw and welding torches and this is what I came up with.

Used the fishtail, which is the closest I can find to the original '31 DL. It's not exact, but with perforations drilled, it looks the part. The center section (old WLA Muffler) was replaced with a section of straight pipe. The z-pipe section of the WLA was a perfect fit. There are no baffles per the original, so I suspect it will have a bit of a bark.

It's coated with a heat paint called Black Velvet. First time I have used this brand, but it looks like it will work nicely. It went on well.

Picture of the finished exhaust below. I'll post a picture after I get it on the bike as well. The muffler brackets are drying now...

Cheers, Sirhr

dl exhaust done.jpg

Comment

Nice effort Sirhr, loogs good.
      Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Got this on the bike around New Years, but hadn't gotten around to touching up the heat paint. So here is the finished result. It's not perfect as there is a step near the fishtail. But until an original surfaces... it does the trick!

dl exhaust final.jpg dl exhaust final 2.jpg

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Working...
        X