45 rear brake drum and sprocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 rear brake drum and sprocket

My 45 rear brake drum and sprocket needs replacing. The brake drum has large areas of pits and the sprocket is loose and the rivet holes in the drum are elongated and the metal near the edge of the drum for the rivet is real thin. I would like to try a reproduction drum and sprocket to start out fresh. Who do you recomend to purchase a repro from? I have heard of problems with speedometer drive gears not correct, drums out of round,etc. I want to give it a shot to keep the repo guys in business. Thanks.

Talk to Warren @ 45 Restoratioon. I've bought several from him. Best regards.
    Conrad Ledig
    AMCA 3761

Comment

Yes, Warren will fixs you up.

Comment

Dennis,

Once you get your parts, AND before you install them, to find out that they will not work right: Do this,

Make sure that the gear for the speedo drive is pressed on completely, and that there's not a space on the backside.......No burrs on the gear, and No Paint either.

My repo (and I don't think that I got it from warren)......was out of round at the chain's sprocket, and I was NEVER able to get the speedo to work correctly with it.

After finding NOS parts for the rear end......No problems with her.

Try and find either Rebuildable used parts, or NOS.

My honest take on it.

George
        George Greer
        AMCA # 3370

Comment

Placed Order

Took the advice on a repo and ordered from 45 Restoration today. Thanks.

Comment

Good luck, hope you don't have issues with it.

If you don't ... your lucky
            George Greer
            AMCA # 3370

Comment

Drum on and working

I ordered the drum on Monday and received it Wednesday. It looked good and I did check the speedo gear placement and removed the paint from it. I put it on Saturday morning and I now have 210 miles on it. The sprocket rivets are top notch, the sprocket is concentric, the speedo is still working and it stops better than the worn out original (and well worn) drum. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Comment

Thank's for the info George. Yes rebuildable or NOS is always best. Sometimes aftermarket parts are only as good as the Dealer from watch they came.

Dennis Crabtree, Past Master Cayuga Lodge 584

Comment

RvP, Warren is a top notched vendor. He stands behind everything he sells. He has been in business for something like 33 years. I have spent 10's of thousands of dollars with him. I'm not saying that everything I bought from him was perfect, cus some parts were crap, but Warren took it back an refunded my money. I can also tell you that there is nothing like an NOS part. Those were my first choice for my bike.
                  Conrad Ledig
                  AMCA 3761

Comment

How did the factory finish the brake shell, splash ring, and sprocket? I've seen them assembled and then painted and I've seen the brake shell painted and then assembled with the sprocket and splash ring.

Comment

The drum is painted. The sprocket is parkerized. The ring is cad. The rivets are parkerized. This is the way my nos one came out the box.
                      Conrad Ledig
                      AMCA 3761

Comment

Anybody want to second the parkerized and cad, I was getting ready to one like this and was told to paint it all black, I think the cad and perkerised sure looks cooler

Comment

what happens to the parkerizeing after you smash the **** out of the rivets?
                          rob ronky #10507
                          www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Thanks 1941wld. I have an assembled unit, but I also have another brake shell, nos splash ring which is cad and a nos sprocket that is parkerized. I think the painted, cad, parkerized combo would look better than everything painted black, but could never tell from any of the factory photos how they did it. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                            X