VL Head Gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL Head Gasket

Can anyone give me a little advise on head gaskets? can I change the rear without pulling the engine? who makes good gaskets? I appreciate any help..Thanks in advance, Bill Baker.....

Baker, William, R......
    AMCA# 15164......"50" FL, "34" VLD....

Bill,
    You can pull the rear head without pulling the motor but you might need to remove the gas tanks. They are really easy to remove since they mount with 5 screws/bolts that go to lugs cast into the frame. You also have two below the tanks with a spacer between them. If you have a speedo you wil need to unbolt the mounting bracket but since it goes to the tanks mounts you are already doing that. You will need to gently get the wires out of the clip/looms on the underside of the tanks.
    If you don't have the riders handbook and Steve Slocomb's VL Restoration guide you need to get these since you have a VL.
    They are essential if you are working on VL's.
    What type of head gaskets are on there now? They are either the metal and fiber type or copper. You can get those at Harbor Vintage, also a good source for information as they are Rat's speciality.
    I was just out yesterday on one of my 36 VLH's and they are a blast!
    Good luck and have fun!

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA # 12766

Comment

Rollo,
      Thanks for the info.. The bike has the grey-blue fiber metal gaskets in it now. I was out riding it in my neighborhood this past Sat, and noticed as i powered it up to join traffic flow, the air noise...you know, the 'I hope it's a loose head pipe, but I know it's a gasket' air noise.. so, now another project for the coming week. Any advantage to the copper over fiber gaskets ? I do have Steve's guide. Need to get the riders handbook. I paid a visit to Rat at his shop a few weeks ago. I figured that I own a vl now ,so, i should meet all the players that i will help get rich over the course of time..besides, I was on a family road trip that took us not to far from Jonesville...Hopefully, someone will answer at the shop on Tues, so I can get the gaskets.. Thanks again for the info...B.Baker...
      Last edited by ManPan; 09-06-2010, 08:31 AM.

Baker, William, R......

Comment

Manpan, Use copper, and you'll not have to worry about blowing a gasket again. Be sure to retourque the bolts once or twice after you run it the first time.
        And just so you know, as a parts dealer, I'm not getting rich on selling mototrcycle parts, If you don't believe it, you are welcome to come here and try to pay my bills , and Septembers quarterly taxes, with what's left in the company checkbook.

Comment

does anybody silver paint head gaskets anymore? used to do it but don't know the theory behind it other than to act as sealant.Is it not necessary with new materials?
          Bob

Comment

Bob, Yes, it's still a good idea to use. The aluminum particles in the paint act as a dry lubricant, because the coefficient of expansion and contraction is different between the gasket materials and motor parts.

Comment

Bill.
              Before you pull the heads off, Check that the primmer valves are closed.
              I had one open on me whilst I was riding, I thought the head gasket had blown until I found the noise was coming from an open primmer.
              Pete Reeves. 860.

Comment

Pete,
                Thanks. I did check that out first. But by waving my hand near where I heard the noise, I found that the front edge of the rear gasket had a leak as well as carbon deposit.. I will order some copper gaskets on Wed... Who stocks them ??? fabercycle? silver paint, I have....What would the head bolt torque value be ? around 35ftlbs? thanks in advance for all the help...B.Baker...

Baker, William, R......

Comment

There is also K&W Copper Coat Gasket Compound in a spray can; I got mine at NAPA.
                  Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Dear Bill, stay away from the blue teflon gaskets and you should be OK. I use the metal/fiber ones, oil both sides, torque to 65 pound feet (maybe that's your problem), then go over them again with a 9/16" wrench the first time the motor gets hot. You'll get about half a turn on the front head and a quarter on the rear bolts. Never had a problem since doing this. If you're using the new 7-bolt aluminum heads (I'm showing off here) then torque to 50 pound feet with the big WLA washers underneath.

Comment

Thanks everyone,
                      I'll be undertaking this project this coming weekend. Hopefully, I can report victoriously next week.. Thanks again....

Baker, William, R......

Comment

Thanks again everyone.
                        Head gasket job went smooth and the bike has been running great for a couple weeks now. Ended up using copper gaskets..they have been re-torqued twice....Regards, Bill Baker..

Baker, William, R......

Comment

Working...
                        X