Harley '45-'46 WPB Plastic Pedal Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley '45-'46 WPB Plastic Pedal Question

I wanted to ask our experts two questions. I am fortunate to have just purchased the pedal and block in the attached photo. I bought them for a very fair price from a great guy - rare in this day and age!

(By the way - I have been looking for one of these that I could afford for 22 years for this bike. Quite a quest!)

The block is a beautiful NOS piece - absolutely flawless. The pedal is very nice also, and the block on it has no cracks, but the complete pedal is used. It has the metal parts painted black.

First question - does anyone know who may have Parkerized metal parts available for this pedal?

Second - if I mount the complete pedal, and save the NOS block - should I kick it? It would be a pain to just put on for shows - I would like to have it mounted all of the time, but I have no idea how fragile these are, and I would hate to break it by using it. I have seen some for sale with plastic chunks missing, so I assuming they can be brittle.

Any opinions would be appreciated!

Last edited by jupiter2; 08-12-2010, 02:36 PM.
    Jim
    AMCA #466

These blocks have been available as reproductions for quite some time. Black, Red, and Yellow as memory serves.
    H-D continued selling these pedals in a variety of colors as accessories into the '50's.
    Note that the 1945 pedal differs from the 1946. The 1945 axle has a "C" clip on the end to hols things together while the 1946 axle has a female bolt on the end (long skinny round nut???)
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Yes - I believe the reproductions have a blank spot in the center rather than the Harley-Davidson logo. I haven't seen a reproduction that has the logo. Also, I think the repro's I have seen have zinc plated metal parts. Mine is for a 1946, so the large flat headed bolt that holds it together on mine would be correct. I have seen the pedals with the clip, and I never knew what that was - thanks for the info!

Do you know the answers to my questions?

Here is the type of repro that I know of. It seems that metal end caps are flat instread of having the slight curves on the edges, as well.

In this picture you can more easily see that flat end plates and lack of logo. The shaft and end bolt look pretty good, except for the wrong finish.

Last edited by jupiter2; 08-13-2010, 08:34 AM. Reason: Added pic
      Jim
      AMCA #466

Comment

Pedal mission accomplished!

Well - I'm not positive anyone cares - but I just thought I would post anyway because of the rarity of this part. I brought my pedal to Davenport this year, hoping to find some original parkerized hardware. There wasn't any of the metal pieces to be found, no plastic blocks there - much less a complete pedal.
        I decided to discuss it with Clete Borchert - "Old Dude" at his booth.
        He confirmed that all of my parts were original HD, and told me that he could take the metal parts and parkerize them. So I left the parts with him, and sure enough - I just got them in the mail, and they look perfect. Below are some pics. (the bolt is just to hold the sleeve and D-shaped wavy washer in place) He did make me feel good when he said, "You are one of the few people in the world with these parts". Well - I have been searching for 22 years for this pedal!
        Have seen a few broken or worn out, but only one or two originals in this condition, and they were on bikes at AMCA meets.

By the way - I have the extra pedal block that is in the pics, and if any of you 1945 or 1946 guys need one, I would be willing to trade.

Jim
        AMCA #466

Comment

I personally would not use the pedal, I would just put it on the bike if the bike were to be in some type of show. It's not that big of a deal to swap. You looked for a long time to find one so you know how rare they are. If you are going to to use it, if I were you I would keep the other one you have as a spare.

I also looked for a long time for one, as long if not longer than you looked, and got an NOS pedal about 4 years ago. Mine is for 1945 with the C clip, got the shaft, spring, spring cover and clip from someone else. I still don't have the end plates but have line on a set local. I have some end plates that were re-popped by someone but they are not that good.

Back in the day, early to mid 70's, one of the guys I rode with had a bunch of them. We used them on our choppers because they looked cool. We also busted a lot of them. Like anything else, had we known then what we know now, most know the rest.

J
          Last edited by 45knuck; 10-04-2010, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks Bluesrider. Solid advise.
            I will take it - and thank you for the reply.
            Best of luck with the end plates, brother.
            Jim
            AMCA #466

Comment

Working...
            X