Flathead Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flathead Restoration

I recently purchased a Flathead Solo titled as a 1953 Harley. The motor is a G motor with aluminum heads with a 53 year stamp on the engine that I learned was from a service car. I'm sure thats why the bike was tltled as a 53. I know this is probably just a pieced together solo, however I want to try to restore it to look as close to an old flatty as possible. The front wheel is an 18 with no brakes and the rear is a 16. No front fender and the rear is a small bobbed fender. No headlight or horn on the front, only a round plate that has a large 2 digit number. Maybe it was an old flat track racer, just a guess. I'm trying to find more info about the frame and springer front end. It looks considerable older. The springer front end looks to me like one from the 40s. The handlebars are mounted into the front end with something that resembles bicycle handlebar stems. Is here any resource available that has close up pictures of these front ends, frames, and sheet metal o help me figure out what it was? Are there any hidden numbers that are on the frame or front end that may give me a hand. The bike is probably pretty bastardized, but cool enough to try to make a good rider out of it ( in my opinion ). I just couldn't resist the price to have an old one. There may have been other threads on here about this information but I did not see one. I'm a new member and just starting in this antique bike project. Thanks to anyone who can send me in the right directions.

Obtain a digital camera and post some photos of the bike. Our members will explain what you have in the way of parts and components. Paps

Comment

Welcome Oakmal,
      As paps said, pics are your best bet. If the bars mount that way they are '39 or earlier. Most likely just someones idea of a racer replica. And please stay away from the term "restoration". That would ONLY apply if you are making it as it came from the factory, which from your description it can never be. (Unless you build it into a '53 Servi-car!)
      So just call it a replica or renovation or custom, or any other term you desire. Just not the "R" word.
      But a nice period look rider is relatively easy to achieve with a little patience, desire, and a fat checkbook!
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Flathead Renovation

Thanks Paps and Robbie! It will be a while before I can get a hold of a camera to add some pics.It is interesting to know about the front end. It is an in line springer and the handlebar stems enter the top of the front end and go through the legs. At the bottom of the stems they are cut apart at a 45 angle with a bolt entering through the top of the longer piece and ending at shorter section . As they are tightened at the top, the stems tighten in the front end. I have seen alot of these on bicycles, just never seen one on a Harley before. I have obtained a later set of flathead in line springer bars that line up but will have to figure out how to attatch them to the front end. I guess I could make a couple of shorter tube sections and just use the pinch bolts on the springer to hold them. Does anyone make an adapter to ust the later bars? I don't want to cut or modify the original dogbones.
        Originally posted by Rub View Post
        Welcome Oakmal,
        As paps said, pics are your best bet. If the bars mount that way they are '39 or earlier. Most likely just someones idea of a racer replica. And please stay away from the term "restoration". That would ONLY apply if you are making it as it came from the factory, which from your description it can never be. (Unless you build it into a '53 Servi-car!)
        So just call it a replica or renovation or custom, or any other term you desire. Just not the "R" word.
        But a nice period look rider is relatively easy to achieve with a little patience, desire, and a fat checkbook!
        Robbie

Comment

Oakmal,
          From your updated description they do indeed sound like bicycle parts. Harley-Davidson never used anything as you describe! Sounds like weed induced engineering!
          Robbie
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

You might also try this for a bunch of info.

How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson
            Description:
            The biggest and best book ever written on authentically restoring the most collectible 1937-1964 Harley-Davidson big twin motorcycles. Every detail on every bike is meticulously described year-by-year and model-by-model down to the correct finish for each part. 750 illustrations.
            Author: Palmer, Bruce ISBN: 9780879389345
            Format: Paperback
            Publish Date: 11/01/1994
            Publisher: Motorbooks Intl
            Language: English
            AMCA #10930

Comment

Ordered it, thanks!
              Originally posted by Knotthed View Post
              You might also try this for a bunch of info.

How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson
              Description:
              The biggest and best book ever written on authentically restoring the most collectible 1937-1964 Harley-Davidson big twin motorcycles. Every detail on every bike is meticulously described year-by-year and model-by-model down to the correct finish for each part. 750 illustrations.
              Author: Palmer, Bruce ISBN: 9780879389345
              Format: Paperback
              Publish Date: 11/01/1994
              Publisher: Motorbooks Intl
              Language: English

Comment

Got the book in the mail today. What a great How to book. As much as there is here to take in, I won't have to talk to the old lady for months!

Comment

Working...
                X