19" VL Rim & spoke size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19" VL Rim & spoke size

I am lacing a rim and spokes for a my VL and spokes appear to be about 1/2" to long. Can someone tell me the outside dimension of a 19" VL rim and if possible the length of the correct spoke. I cannot figure out if my rim or spokes is wrong size. My rim measures 20 1/8" at the outside diameter. Any help appreciated, Thanks

I can't comment on spoke sizes, but I do have a 19" VL rim, and the OD is 20 1/8"...Rod

Comment

Dear Buster, you may be lacing the wheels incorrectly. Here's the procedure from my VL Restoration Book, courtesy of my pals at Harbor Vintage:

"Wheel Lacing Procedure

The 40 VL spokes consist of twenty with a spoke angle of about 75 degrees, and 20 with an angle of about 95 degrees.

1. With the splined end or brake side of the wheel hub facing up, place the hub in the center of the rim on a work bench or other suitable surface. Position the rim so that the valve stem hole is at the six o'clock position, with the alemite grease fitting on the hub at twelve o'clock.

2. Starting with ten of the 75 degree head angle spokes, insert them into the countersunk holes on the outside of the hub, so that the head of the spoke is visible from the outside of the hub when fully inserted. Starting with the spoke at the six o'clock position in the hub, swing it in a counterclockwise direction. Using the valve stem hole as reference, count eight spoke holes in the rim and insert the spoke (approximately between the 3 and 4 o'clock position on the rim ). Continue this procedure, inserting the spokes every fourth hole on the upper portion of the rim, and just starting the spoke nipples so that the threads catch.

3. Turn over the rim, so that the bearing retainer side of the hub is facing up. Repeat the procedure using the other ten 75 degree spokes. They are also swung in a counterclockwise direction.

4. Insert ten of the 95 degree angled spokes through the inside of the hub, so that the heads of the spokes are visible from the inside of the hub. Using the valve stem hole as a reference, swing the spokes in a clockwise direction seven holes to approximately the 8 o'clock position. As before, start the nipples onto the spoke threads.

5. Turn the wheel over again, spline side up, and insert the remaining ten 95 degree angled spokes through the inside of the hub. Swing them in a clockwise direction and start the spoke nipples. The wheel should be ready for truing.

Note that lacing the wheels with the grease fitting 180 degrees away from the tire inflator is not mentioned in Harley literature before the 1947 Shop Manual. Original VL wheels are more or less random, with some bias towards having the inflator and hub grease fitting 90 degrees apart. Military nos 18" wheels seem random."

Yes the 19" wheels are about 20" across, and the 18" rims about 19" across, which gives room for confusion. It always helps to have another wheel there so you can copy the pattern.

When truing the wheel, don't forget to adjust the offset correctly. With the wheel lying flat on the floor with the splines facing upwards, a long straightedge placed across the splines should clear the rim by about 1/16" or 2 mm either side. Best regards.

Comment

Thanks for replys. So rim must be right at 20 1/8". Steve, I had your book open to the wheeling lacing page when I laced the rim and the lacing I have seems to be right. I just took a spoke out and it measures approx 8 15/16" from threaded nipple end to outside of angled bend at hub side. Does anyone has a loose 19" rim VL spoke they could measure. I was trying to use original spokes and think I probably bought set which is for different size rim. Any help appreciated. Well, guess I will go back out to shop to unlace this rim. Thanks again.

Comment

Buster. I have a loose original 19" VL spoke that I just measured. It appears to be roughly the 8 15/16" you describe.

Comment

Thanks, I am going back to shop, look at pattern, and tighten up nipples again. Hope I can figure this out. If anybody has any suggestions, any are appreciated.

Comment

I found problem. When I turned wheel over to start second set of outside spokes, I started in wrong hole on hub side. Got it right now, thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
              X