Chain lubrication adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain lubrication adjustment

I have to readjust the chain oilers in my 45 since front chain shows quite some oil puddles after longer rides. rear chain seems to be ok.
    Can anybody advise how to find the correct adjustment (drops per min .... )
    Thanks

Oliver
    oliver

Harley didn't publish a "drops per min" for the chains. Here's a quotation from page 20 of the 45 military service manual, if it's any help:

"Chains under any operating conditions require only a very small amount of oil for ample lubrication and therefore chain oilers require very fine adjustment to supply just enough but no waste oil. If inspection shows either chain getting not enough or too much oil, readjust as follows: For more oil, add thing (.002") washers under head of adjusting screw; remove thin washers fro less oil. It is advisable to add or remove only one thin washer at a time and inspect chain again after motorcycle has run approximately another hundred miles to determine whether or not further adjustment is needed/ A few extra thin (.002") adjusting washers are furnished in tool kit.
    "Occasionally, adjusting screws should be removed, taking care that none of the adjusting washers are lost from either screw, and the screw seat and oil passages flushed with gasoline and blown out with compressed air. Replace adjusting screws and turn down tight, but not extremely tight, against washers."

The Knuckle/Flathead Big Twin manual, p. 12 says this (and the 45 should be about the same):

"Standard factory setting of chain oiler adjusting screw is as follows: O.H.V. Models-- 1 full turn open; [/I]Side Valve Models[/I]--1 1/8 turns open. A 1/16" washer and required number of .002" washers are placed under screw head so that when screw head bottoms against washers pont of screw is the specified number of turns off its seat."
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Thanks, I needed this info too. I need to slow it down on my VD. The thing slings oil if I run it for awhile.

Comment

Working...
      X