Intro and 45 springer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intro and 45 springer question

I am a long time member of the AMCA, but have only recently started to visit the forum pages. Over more years than I care to claim, I've been collecting 45 parts, but haven't completed much work.

I'd like to start on some sub-assemblies and have a question about my springer. I have Bruce Palmer's Restoration book and understand that the 45 used several sub-types of the basic solo springer over the years. Would someone assist me in identifying which sub-type I have so I can use the correct spring rod ball, etc.?

Thanks
    Attached Files

the balls are interchangeable. you just use the correct one for the year. 1931-1945 used the early ones with the contact ring around the outside and 46-57 used the smooth ones and the ball retainer plate

Comment

MikeDT,

It looks like you've got a '47 and later leg. The spring fork perch was changed on '47 models which are discernable by the lack of the two inside grease fitting bosses used from '40-'46. Below is a picture of a '40-'46 fork leg that has the two unused, unmachined bosses on the inside of the perch. Hope that helps. I'm sure some other folks will give some more input as well.

After looking at my own leg I've actually got some questions about my own fork but I'll wait to ask them until your questions are answered.

Sorry the image got messed up, but you can get the idea on the grease bosses.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Re-cycleInc; 03-29-2010, 11:54 AM. Reason: lousy image
      Scott
      AMCA# 13993

Comment

Ok, how about another fork question....

Does anybody have any idea why someone would braze the laminated plates above the fender tabs on this '40-'46 fork? It also has another reinforcement on the brake control mount. I'm guessing someone beefed it up for racing purposes?

http://s815.photobucket.com/albums/z...einc/Harley45/
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Re-cycleInc; 03-29-2010, 12:30 PM.
        Scott
        AMCA# 13993

Comment

Thanks Re-cycleInc. That's exactly what I was looking for. I read the description in Palmer's book regarding the unused pads, but without a photo I wasn't sure what they looked like.

Comment

Working...
          X