VL Transmission Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL Transmission Top

Can anyone identify what year and model this transmission top is for? When installed, it looks like by putting the bike in neutral, holding in the clutch, and pushing down on the lever (in photo), and let out the clutch, it gives you reverse. It came in a box of extra parts that came with my 1930 VL when I purchased it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Files

This is described in Steve Slocombe's short book "Exotic Harley Davidson VL Gearboxes" on page 3.

"For the 1930 season, and perhaps earlier, the accessory catalog shows a Barlow reverse gearbox made by altering the top lid of the regular three-speed transmission and engaging a reverse idler gear with a separate lever. A picture of this rarely seen accessory is given on page 2."
    Rick Morsher, aka Earl
    AMCA #1905

Comment

Rick, Thank you for the reply and great information. I am going to look into getting a copy of the book..

Comment

Dear Mike, the picture in my new and obscure book is one of the ones you sent me, and is credited to you. It looks like the 1930 and earlier Barlow reverse gearbox, sold as a third party accessory before Harley built their own in 1931. I've never seen another like yours.

Comment

Steve
          I've seen the third party accessory top that has a cast iron top, but I've never seen this style where it's on an altered OEM top. Is your exotic gearbox book still available?
          Mark
          Mark Masa
          www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Dear Mark, thanks for asking and copies are still available at $30 including airmail postage. It covers the 1931-36 VL reverse gearbox and the 1936 VL optional four speed gearbox, with a short engineering history, overhaul procedures, parts listings and prices.

Comment

Working...
            X