clinchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clinchers

I am getting close to mounting tubes and tires on my 20 '' clincher rims, any suggestions or advice before I do so? Thanks Mike

If those are vintage tires...warm them up real good [ soften them ] and grease the rim bead seat. Don't forget the rim strip. Paps

Comment

Laying vintage tires on the hot asphalt for an hour or two will help.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

No more hot asphalt on this side of the country Chris. Almost time to tune up the snow plows. Get ready for the yearly influx of people looking for a warmer climate out your way.
        ------------
        Steve
        AMCA #7300

Comment

I've got an inch of fresh snow this morning with more predicted through the next two days. Don't send them here!
          And if you know any racers see if they have tire warmers you can borrow to heat your rubber up.
          Robbie
          In the part of New Mexico with seasons!
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Send that cold weather to Florida. Today's weather is as hot and humid as anything we got in July and August. I'm sick of it and wouldn't you know; I picked today to paint the floor in the garage.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Hi,I was advised one time to place rim in tire first and work each side on from the outside of rim.

Comment

I should have stayed on the subject. If you're putting a 385 x 20 Coker tire on a freshly painted rim you should have no trouble putting it most of the way on by hand. Coker tires are quite soft and pliable and easy to manipulate. You will probably need a bit of tire iron assistance to get the last bit in and you should use actual tire soap (not dish detergent). I use a piece of leather between the iron and the rim to prevent scratching the paint. Get one side of the tire on first and then slip the tube in. Once the tube is in, partially inflate it to minimize pinching. Slip the other side of the tire in and Bob's your uncle. I almost forgot; you have to cut the tire to clear for the valve stem. Clincher tires wrap around the tube and if you don't cut clearance for the stem your tire may not seat in the rim.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

" soften " the sidewalls

To limber up the rubber & get some flex in the sidewall of new tires before installation on the rim, turn the tire upright on the driveway and place it between your legs. gently sit on it. Using your weight " Hop " up and down on the tire so the sidewall bends a bit, just enough to flex the side wall. Rotate the tire to flex the side wall all the way around.

If your neighbors are watching and laughing be sure to let out your best " Ya -Hoo !! " and waive one hand in the air, just to Really give em something to talk about.

Rubber mallet on rubber tire to vibrate the rubber tire, Don't strike anywhere near the metal rim.
                  Last edited by William McClean; 10-28-2009, 02:45 PM.
                  William McClean
                  AMCA # 60

Comment

put the tires next to your heater. i got my tires at nick muths in feb. they came out of a chicken coup it took a few hours to warm them up enuff to keep your hands from freezing to them .murphy's soap comes in a gel and is used by tire dealers pep boys,advanced auto or the likes will have it
                    rob ronky #10507
                    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

This subject was covered extensively elsewhere on this forum before,maybe it got lost in the changeover but I will say that on no account should you lube the bead when installing as air pressure is all that keeps the tyre on the rim and air pressure alone stops it from creeping, any lube will just encourage tyre creep on the rim.
                      The old guy that taught me to install beaded edge tyres would throw tyre levers over the fence if he caught you with them as he reckoned that if you needed them you were doing it wrong.
                      Liberally coat the tube and the inside of the tyre with French chalk so the if the trye does creep on the rim the tube stands a chance of slipping inside the tyre and not pulling off the tyre valve stem.
                      I always put the tyre without a tube in it onto the wheel and try to find if there is a heavy place anywhere on the tyre and then cut the inner tube valve hole opposite that heavy spot in an effort to use the weight of the valve to balance the wheel.
                      I was always taught to put a slighly inflated tube into the tyre first and then offer the tyre and tube to the wheel putting the tube valve through the rim hole first and proceeding from there. This is done in an effort to keep the inner flaps nice and flat and sitting as they should. If you put the tube into the tyre once the tyre is on the rim you make the job of ensuring that the flap is correctly placed very difficult.
                      Hope this helps.
                      Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                      A.M.C.A. # 2777
                      Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Live and learn Peter. I never thought of putting the tire and tube together on the rim. I have a set of clincher tires to mount very soon and I'll try that. Thanks for the tip.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo View Post
                          This subject was covered extensively elsewhere on this forum before,maybe it got lost in the changeover but I will say that on no account should you lube the bead when installing as air pressure is all that keeps the tyre on the rim and air pressure alone stops it from creeping, any lube will just encourage tyre creep on the rim.
                          Is this just with beaded types only ? I inqiure because I don't know anyone, including shops, who don't lube the rim. Paps

Comment

Paps,
                            This is like comparing apples with oranges,beaded edge tyres are a totally different animal to wellbase/modern tyres and some of the proceedures used during mounting moderns should not be used when mounting beaded edge tyres.
                            The design of the two types of tyres are worlds apart and a puncture on a beaded edge tyre can see you losing the tyre off the rim whereas a wellbase tyre stays on.
                            As far as wellbase tyres go I totally agree with you in regard to applying lube to the bead when mounting the tyre.
                            It a shame so much was lost when this site changed over a while back as this subject was covered in great depth a little time back
                            Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                            A.M.C.A. # 2777
                            Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Just for information, I was able to get oldfashioned "tire talc" at the local NAPA store.
                              The guy behind the counter won't know what you're talking about??? Just told him to look it up. They were able to order it and had it next day. Rod

Comment

Working...
                              X