Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you tell original from repro?.... front wheels, backing plates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you tell original from repro?.... front wheels, backing plates.

I am wondering if there are any tell-tale signs to telling a reproduction 18" 45 front wheel with hub, and a brake backing plate from an original set of these parts...

- 18" front wheel and hub
    - 45 front backing plate

I need to know as I'm going to go and look at some parts tomorrow that are supposed to be original parts and want to make sure I know what I'm looking at.

Thanks fellas!
    "The beauty of life is more the crying baby than the great orchestra." -Woody Guthrie

Inside the 18" rim should be stamped 'KHW' and 'SF705T' or 'SF705TA'.

Comment

You need to get:

http://www.amazon.com/Restore-Harley.../dp/0879389346

Comment

Originally posted by hdrl1935 View Post
        I actually have that exact book,... though I didn't see that detail you mentioned, I just started reading it,... as you know, its HUGE,... lots to learn.

Thank you for the help.
        "The beauty of life is more the crying baby than the great orchestra." -Woody Guthrie

Comment

Originally posted by hdrl1935 View Post
          Inside the 18" rim should be stamped 'KHW' and 'SF705T' or 'SF705TA'.

Oh, Kelsey Hayes,... ok,... makes perfect sense.

Comment

I have a very beat up backing plate for a 45 here, but see no markings on it when I cleaned it up. I also took a look at the section of Palmer's book about 45 brake parts and there is nothing mentioned in their regarding anything stamped or otherwise.

Am I missing something, or is it just one of those parts that's hard to tell what is what?

I mean of course I'll be looking for wear marks and a ding here or there to see if it looks like its a piece that's been around, but then again there's so much NOS 45 stuff out there, I don't want to be just paranoid, and pass on something that actually IS the "Real Magilla!"

Comment

I think the early ('31-'40) backing plates were stamped out of a thinner gauge metal than the later ones. Of course I could be wrong, and if you don't have anything to compare it to, well........

Comment

If you don't have it yet you need to get the 45 Restoration Guide from Vintage Motorcycle Works it covers 45's from 1929 to 1936.

Link Attached

http://www.vintagemotorcycleworks.com/manual.htm
                Rich
                AMCA #8438

Comment

Working...
                X