Close up pictures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close up pictures?

Does anyone have any close up pictures of a 1932-1937 45" Harley specifically where the Jiffy Stand, Clutch sidebar, and support rod all come together?

The clutch bracket on the sidebar is hitting the Jiffy stand casting, and I can't get it on. I don't want to grind away the clutch bracket. The clutch sidebar is for a fact the right year, the jiffy stand is harley -32 part number, but the support rod, I'm not sure about. Maybe I have the wrong support rod, and it's supposed to stick out further so I can bolt the sidebar on.

Please help! Anybody with one of these bikes can you take a picture of what's going on there?

I'll check my pictures. On the VL the front footboard support rod is longer than the rear, so using a rear rod at the front gives the symptoms you describe.

Comment

Thanks Steve!

It is definatley a front support rod. The jiffy stand casting fits over it perfectly, and it is longer. But not long enough for some reason.

While I've got your attention Steve, I've just about run out of resources for an RL/early WL headlight bracket. 4966-31, '31-'39 45". Harbor Vintage doesn't stock them anymore, Antique Cycle NW, doesn't have them, Johnny Sells doesn't know anybody with one........Steve at Antique Cycle NW told me to ask you about one.

I'm also in need of an RL shifter lever. What I have appears to be a early VL or JD with the die cast ball on top. The distance from the pivot to the clevis is much longer on the VL levers. Part number 2204-26.

Thanks

Comment

Sorry, I really focus hard on the VL and this means I can't help much on other models. The RL is a much harder bike to restore than a VL, because the new parts are just not out there, so you have the excitement of slogging round the swap meets to look forward to. Actually, the JD is just as hard to restore accurately, and there is no restoration guide as for the DL, RL, VL. When are AMCA members going to get together and write the JD restoration manual?

Comment

Don't know if this will help but it is a 1935 slightly modified
          \
          Rich
          AMCA #8438

Comment

Thank You!

That's exactly what I'm looking for! See attached picture pointing out the area where I'm having an interference. The 90 degree bend in the clutch bracket is hitting the stand casting. Is the backside of your clutch bracket cut-out, or relieved to clear this? Could you take a closer picture from the back side of the area circled?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
              Sorry, I really focus hard on the VL and this means I can't help much on other models. The RL is a much harder bike to restore than a VL, because the new parts are just not out there, so you have the excitement of slogging round the swap meets to look forward to. Actually, the JD is just as hard to restore accurately, and there is no restoration guide as for the DL, RL, VL. When are AMCA members going to get together and write the JD restoration manual?
              Thanks Steve. I had to ask.

Comment

I will try to get a close up tonight for you from both sides
                Rich
                AMCA #8438

Comment

Thank you Rich! Maybe a shot of the brake shackle from the top also? Since I'm having issues with that.

I know I'm asking a lot...........thanks for your help.
                  Last edited by hdrl1935; 08-10-2009, 03:38 PM.

Comment

hdrl1935, this was the best I could do, was having trouble with the camera. I will try to get the brake shackle when I get home tonight

Rich
                    AMCA #8438

Comment

So, your clutch bracket has been 'notched out' in the circled areas to clear the jiffy stand casting. Interesting. I have a complete DL clutch sidebar, and the bracket sits further back clearing everything. I picked up a nice RL sidebar and the clutch bracket doesn't clear. But, I don't have a notch cut in mine. I wonder if this notch should be there, or there is something more to this. I definately don't want to cut up a very nice clutch bracket without getting everything figured out.

Thanks for the pictures. This helps a lot. I won't need the brake shackle picture. I got that sorted.

Comment

I'll take a closer look to double check but don't think it was notched out, can't remember. I'll check again tonight
                        Rich
                        AMCA #8438

Comment

Rich! You've been a HUGE help.

One other favor to ask..........

Could you measure your shifter lever, specifically the distance from the pivot to the clevis hole, center to center?

I've got a JD or early VL lever and can't find an RL, so I need to move the clevis hole and trim the end off. The VL/JD levers have a much longer distance from the pivot to the clevis, and it's binding up the shifter linkage.

Thanks a TON!

Comment

hdrl1935, I can get that measurement when I get home tonight for you. I also took a closer look at the clutch pedal bracket and it appears that it is not notched
                            Rich
                            AMCA #8438

Comment

hdrl1935

I measured 3" from center to center pivot to clevis holes
                              Rich
                              AMCA #8438

Comment

Working...
                              X